From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Where are they teaching Common Lisp these days?
  Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
  some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
  the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
  everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
  It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
  taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

///
--
  The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are two
  very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not deserve

From: John Jaynes
Subject: Re: Where are they teaching Common Lisp these days?
Erik Naggum wrote:

>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
>
> ///
> --
>   The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are two
>   very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not deserve
>   much credit and certainly not a Nobel peace prize.  The "after" United
>   Nations equally certainly does.  I applaud the Nobel committee's choice.

I am beating my brains out on this language at Oregon State University.

John
From: Richard Krush
John Jaynes <······@aracnet.com> wrote:
> Erik Naggum wrote:

>>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
>>
>> ///
>> --
>>   The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are two
>>   very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not deserve
>>   much credit and certainly not a Nobel peace prize.  The "after" United
>>   Nations equally certainly does.  I applaud the Nobel committee's choice.

> I am beating my brains out on this language at Oregon State University.

Ahh, it's good to hear that (hopefully) my future college has Lisp
course(s). Can't wait to take them :)

Regards.

--
 Richard Krushelnitskiy   "I know not with what weapons World War III will
 ·········@gmx.net         be fought, but World War IV will be fought with
From: Eric Moss
Erik Naggum wrote:

>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

I know of no public list, but after asking Franz about lispers near me
(Lincoln Nebraska), I was put in contact with a professor at the
University. It's possible that the various vendors would be willing to
publicly list schools that use their products (whether for teaching or
just their own research). That's not as complete as a full indexing of
who teaches what, but it's an entry point for finding out.

In my case, Franz' internal list is leading me back to grad school to do
a Masters using lisp. Except for no big-bucks in the next few years, I'm
pretty happy with it. :)

Eric

--
US Supreme Court hearing 00-836
GEORGE W. BUSH, Petitioner, v. PALM BEACH COUNTY CANVASSING BOARD

Justice (Scalia?) to Mr. Klock (representing Katherine Harris):

20 and therefore, I guess, whether we win, whether your side,
21 the side you're supporting wins or loses, it doesn't
22 change that, and I guess that's moot, but my question is,
From: Vebjorn Ljosa
* Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net>
| Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
| some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
| the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
| everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
| It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
| taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) offers a
Lisp course which was decent when I took it a few years ago.
<URL:http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~keithd/classes/lisp/>

--
Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Paul Meurer
On 14 Oct 2001 13:06:02 -0700, Vebjorn Ljosa <·····@ljosa.com> wrote:

>The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) offers a
>Lisp course which was decent when I took it a few years ago.
><URL:http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~keithd/classes/lisp/>
>
>--

Common Lisp is widely used and regularly taught to undergraduates at
the Linguistics department at the University of Bergen (Norway).

- Paul Meurer
Paul Meurer at HIT UiB no
Humanities Information Technologies Centre,
University of Bergen
All�gaten 27, 5007 Bergen
Norway
From: Johannes Groedem
···········@hit.uib.no (Paul Meurer) writes:

> Common Lisp is widely used and regularly taught to undergraduates at
> the Linguistics department at the University of Bergen (Norway).

This goes for some courses at linguistics[1] at the University of Oslo, too,
I'm told.  Also, there's a Common Lisp seminar every fall at the computer
science institute here.

1. SLI ("language, logic and information", or something.)

--
johs
From: Joseph Dale
Erik Naggum wrote:

>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
>
> ///

I am an undergrad in CS at UC Berkeley. Currently our compilers course
and our AI course are using Common Lisp, although this is not always the
case; it just happens that they are being taught this semester by a
couple of Lisp-friendly profs (whose names may be familiar to people
here): Richard Fateman and Robert Wilensky.

If anyone is interested, the URLs for these courses are:

http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs164
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs188

(Footnote: Although Erik asked about Common Lisp, I'll also mention that
we do use SICP in our first-semester programming course:
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs61a .)

Joe
From: Joseph Dale
Joseph Dale wrote:

> Erik Naggum wrote:
> >
> >   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
> >   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
> >   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
> >   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
> >   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
> >   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
> >
> > ///

Also, there is a course in computational linguistics which uses Lisp:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~kathol/158/

Joe
From: michael wolf
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track
>   of them?

RMIT (http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/) teaches lisp somewhat half-heartedly
in its intro to AI subject.  I don't think too many people really got
it, though.  A friend and I, both fairly keen programmers, really
liked it (what a revelation MAPCAR was, coming from a C and Java
background!) but other people didn't seem to enjoy themselves as much.

We officially used gcl (although I experimented with clisp and cmucl
on my home PCs).  I think most people actually edited their code with
vi and pasted stuff into gcl, or maybe did (load "foo.lisp") about a
million times.  There was no mention of emacs that I noticed.

Later, we did some stuff with clips, too.  They told us it was lispy.
It was, if you think lisp is nothing more than a heap of parenthesis.
It wasn't if wanted to think even a little bit outside of the box.
(It wasn't lispy enough to edit comfortably in emacs, either.)

mike

--
Michael Wolf
http://www.netspace.net.au/~mwolf/pgp.txt
From: Kaz Kylheku
In article <··············@minastirith.schemes.dodgysoftware.net>,
michael wolf wrote:
>Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:
>
>>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track
>>   of them?
>
>RMIT (http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/) teaches lisp somewhat half-heartedly
>in its intro to AI subject.

That kind of thing tends to only fortify the perception that Lisp is
for AI research and that's that. A better approach might be to offer
a software engineering course that uses Lisp as the basis of a team
project.  Or use Lisp in a second or third year program design course,
one that isn't introductory. Some schools use Scheme or Lisp in the
first year, then forget about it, leaving students with only a bad
memory of struggling with something when they were utter newbies. Any
language would leave a bad impression if it were thrown at newbies for
a few months, and then forgotten, so that the memories are not replaced
with anything clueful and positive.
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:32:48 GMT, michael wolf <····@dodgysoftware.net>
wrote:

> Later, we did some stuff with clips, too.  They told us it was lispy.
> It was, if you think lisp is nothing more than a heap of parenthesis.
> It wasn't if wanted to think even a little bit outside of the box.

You may want to try LISA:

  http://lisa.sourceforge.net/

Paolo
http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]
From: Jon Jacky
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote in message news:<················@naggum.net>...
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

Common Lisp is used and taught in the Biomedical and Health Informatics program
at the University of Washington in Seattle, see their introductory course sequence:

 http://www.radonc.washington.edu/medinfo/meded531/

Here is a large (mostly non-AI) Common Lisp application developed at UW:

 http://www.radonc.washington.edu/medinfo/prism/

- Jon Jacky, ···@speakeasy.net
From: ········@irtnog.org

    Erik> ...so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track
    Erik> of them?

Not really.  If I recall correctly, Indiana University (Bloomington,
IN, USA) teaches Scheme as part of its introductory and "Programming
Language Concepts" courses.  My alma mater, Rose Hulman Institute of
Technology (Terre Haute, IN, USA), also uses Scheme in its version of
"Programming Language Concepts"---the professor who teaches that
course received his M.S. from IU and studied there under Friedman and
Watts.  Rose also teaches an "Intro to AI" course using GCL (bleh)---
by a different professor who had an academic AI background (from Duke,
as I recall).

--
"His power lies apparently in his ability to choose incompetent
enemies." - Crow T. Robot, MST3K, "Prince of Space"
From: Jonathan Bailleul
Erik Naggum wrote:

>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
>
> ///
> --
>   The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are two
>   very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not deserve
>   much credit and certainly not a Nobel peace prize.  The "after" United
>   Nations equally certainly does.  I applaud the Nobel committee's choice.

In France, Common Lisp is taught in Bordeaux and Caen (at least)...

--
--------------------------
Jonathan BAILLEUL
From: Marc Battyani
"Jonathan Bailleul" <········@greyc.ismra.fr> wrote
> Erik Naggum wrote:
> >
> >   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to
gleam
> >   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
> >   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now
that
> >   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer
possible.
> >   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually
(attempted)
> >   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of
them?

> > ///
> > --
> >   The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are
two
> >   very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not
deserve
> >   much credit and certainly not a Nobel peace prize.  The "after" United
> >   Nations equally certainly does.  I applaud the Nobel committee's
choice.

> In France, Common Lisp is taught in Bordeaux and Caen (at least)...

In France, Common Lisp is taught at Sup�l�c too.

Marc
From: Tim Bradshaw
* Erik Naggum wrote:
>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

CL was taught as part of the AI MSc at Edinburgh.  I don't think it is
any more, although I would welcome correction.  The course was kind of
old: just before/after I stopped working for the University some
attempts were made to modernise it, but I think it got displaced by a
fashionable-language-of-the-month course anyway.

--tim
From: Marcin Tustin
From: ·······@yahoo.com
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:18:33 GMT, Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:

>  Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>  some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>  the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>  everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>  It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>  taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?
>
>///
>--
>  The United Nations before and after the leadership of Kofi Annan are two
>  very different organizations.  The "before" United Nations did not deserve
>  much credit and certainly not a Nobel peace prize.  The "after" United
>  Nations equally certainly does.  I applaud the Nobel committee's choice.

hahaha!  They force most people who take an AI class to take LISP.
Our teacher is particularily evil since he beat us on the head with
Prolog and now he's starting on LISP and visual prolog at the same
time....evil...
From: Grzegorz Grudzinski
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote:
>   Back in the first few dozen extended Septembers, it was possible to gleam
>   some information about the schools that were teaching Common Lisp from
>   the addresses of the clueless newbie homework assignment posts.  Now that
>   everbody has their own non-school addresses, this is no longer possible.
>   It would still be nice to know where Common Lisp is actually (attempted)
>   taught, so does anyone know of some web resources that keep track of them?

Common Lisp is taught at Warsaw University to graduates in Computer Science.
The course is not obligatory. It has been available yearly for umpteen years
now.

Also Common Lisp is used in some courses in Artificial Intelligence.

Best regards,
grzes
--
Grzegorz Grudzinski	Institute of Informatics, Warsaw University
···@mimuw.edu.pl	http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~gsg/
From: Steve Long
All we had available to mechanical and civil engineering students at university
back in the early '80's were basic and fortran compilers (they must have
figured that was good enoough!) I've learned most of what I know about Lisp
from books and this newsgroup. It's been enough to make a living.

From: Andrew Khoury
From: Marco Antoniotti
At NYU (after a dose of Ada :) ) Scheme is taught as part of the
"Programming Languages" courses.  The standard exercise is to write
you own Scheme Interpreter in Scheme.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.