From: Stefan Kain
Subject: My Conclusion on comp.lang.lisp, and an apology
Hello,

first of all I want to apologize to Erik and the group,
that I have directed the original message to the group instead of
sending it to him personally.

But nevertheless I learned a lot. I saw how the same statement
got different interpretations from different people, which I
contribute to the inherent pluralism in newsnet.
Thats a good thing I never wanted to change.

It was not my intention to quiet anybody. Just to show what would
happen in "real life" TM.

That, I think, was a very valuable experience.

My conclusion is, that life is much easier without approaching
different opinions with insult or abusive speech.

If somebody is wrong, I think telling the person _once_ that he/she
is wrong is sufficient. The rest is up to that person anyway.

Insult and offensive speech just create unnecessary hostility and
a difficulty to open one's mind to the thoughts of your
communication _partner_. It also creates a lot of frustration.
              ^^^^^^^^^^
              !!!!!!!!!! Lots of exclamation marks, emphasis and yelling
                           in this one word!!!!!!!!!!!

communication is about senders, receivers and a means of transmission,
as
you all might know. Well, you will never know what the sender really
thinks
because all you receive is what is left after the transmission process.
You have to conclude from this only evidence you get, what the sender
_might_ have thought. This is an interpretation process that takes place
for _everybody_.   Offensive language doesn't make this process easier.

I would really like to understand more of Lisp. But the tone in this
group
doesn't make life easier, really!

Thank you for your attention! And sorry for abusing you!

Bye,
Stefan
From: Erik Naggum
Subject: Re: My Conclusion on comp.lang.lisp, and an apology
* Stefan Kain
:
| Thank you for your attention! And sorry for abusing you!

  Well, that was quick and a rather unexpected turn of events!  If only
  those others who rise to stir the newsgroup with their personal morals
  could figure out that it fails every single time and only makes for
  enemies when the moralists refuse to see themselves as trouble-makers,
  especially people like John Foderaro who has no claim to "newbiehood" to
  excuse _his_ behavior, we could have avoided a _lot_ of hostility here.

  Apology accepted.  I am happy you think you learned something.

///