From: Francesco Moi
Subject: Easy question about comparing two strings
Hi again!

I'm trying to compare two strings. The problem is that those both
strings are within a list. I mean:
(setf Word1 (subseq Line 0 8))
(setf Word2 (first Value))
(if (string= Word1 Word2)...

Then I get this error message:
*********************
LISP error:
("John") cannot be coerced to a string
*********************

I assume that I'm doing something wrong, but I do not get my mistake.
I would
be extremely obliged if anybody could open my eyes...

From: Steve Long
Subject: Re: Easy question about comparing two strings
This looks incomplete. Please list the entire problem, as we do not know
the values of word1 or word2. In general, you must be sure that the args
to string= are both strings.

sl

From: Wade Humeniuk
You are probably going to have to send more information.

What is the value of Word2?  I appears to be '("John") which would imply
that
Value is '(("John") ...) instead of '("John" ...).

Then
(setf Word2 (first Value)) should be
(setf Word2 (first (first Value)))

Wade