From: Hannu Koivisto
Subject: define-method-combination problem
Greetings,

Am I correct that DEFINE-METHOD-COMBINATION cannot be used to
create a method combination as follows...  The hypothetical method
combination should be just like the standard method combination but
additionally allow one foo method with a :FOO qualifier per each
primary method.  That is, whenever a foo method is applicable,
there must also be an applicable primary method with identical
specializers.  Such a foo method should be arranged to be called
just before the corresponding (from specializers' point of view)
primary method X as if it was an ordinary primary method that is
more specific than X.

...without resorting to the CLOS MOP as described by AMOP, that is.
METHOD-QUALIFIERS is part of ANSI CL but METHOD-SPECIALIZERS is not
(it is part of the MOP, though) so I cannot associate foo methods
to primary methods for, first of all, verifying that there is a
corresponding primary method to begin with and ordering them so
that the primary method gets called after the foo method (according
to CLHS 7.6.6.1.2 either can precede the other).

Using MOP is not a problem but I would just like to be sure that
I am not missing anything obvious (or less obvious trick) here.

--
Hannu