From: Duane Rettig
Subject: G'day, mates, how 'ya goin'?
I'm back from vacation in New Zealand and Australia, and had a great
time.  I did have a chance to meet Paul Foley after all, and we had a
nice talk over dessert at Aukland's quay on Princess Wharf.

Now, to validate this article as on-topic to lisp, I'll mention that
I still have to finish up the approximately 1800 articles that have
queued in c.l.l, before I post any of my own.

How is that on-topic to lisp?  Well, I recall in years past that a
three-week vacation (by extrapolation only - this is my first _ever_
three-week vacation :-) might yield at most 100 or 200 articles on
this newsgroup.  I also recall at such times that some of the "lisp
is dead" pessimists were citing the lack of traffic here as proof of
their claim.  And given the high signal-to-noise ratio (for the most
part) that I've seen so far, I think that 1800 articles is _very_
encouraging.

It's now been a day and a half, and besides the 2300 email messages
I've been whittling down, I have a little less than 1000 articles to
go.  I can see that I have some simple-streams questions and comments
to answer, but I won't do that until I catch up, so it will take a few
days.

--
Duane Rettig          Franz Inc.            http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275  Berkeley, CA 94704

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: G'day, mates, how 'ya goin'?
... Well, I have been back from a 4 days vacation and just decided to
mark all the articles as "read" :)

Anyway, just to let you know, I kind of think that the traffic on this
newsgroup is about 1/3 that of comp.lang.python.

I do not think that that is that bad either.

Now back to work.

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Tim Bradshaw
Duane Rettig <·····@franz.com> wrote in message news:<·············@beta.franz.com>...

> How is that on-topic to lisp?  Well, I recall in years past that a
> three-week vacation (by extrapolation only - this is my first _ever_
> three-week vacation :-) might yield at most 100 or 200 articles on
> this newsgroup.  I also recall at such times that some of the "lisp
> is dead" pessimists were citing the lack of traffic here as proof of
> their claim.  And given the high signal-to-noise ratio (for the most
> part) that I've seen so far, I think that 1800 articles is _very_
> encouraging.

Ah but everyone knows high newsgroup traffic means that the topic is
dead, because it's all just futile off-topic flamage.

It is, of course,  an axiom of c.l.l that

    all x: x => dead(lisp)

I would express this in Lisp, but I can't because it's dead, of
course.

--tim

(actually, I'm reduced to reading news via google for the time being
(ssh lossage) and c.l.l has its little signal strength bar thingy
right up.)
From: Erik Naggum
* Tim Bradshaw
| Ah but everyone knows high newsgroup traffic means that the topic is
| dead, because it's all just futile off-topic flamage.

  Newsgroup volume is a measure of discontent.

///
--
  The past is not more important than the future, despite what your culture
  has taught you.  Your future observations, conclusions, and beliefs are
From: Duane Rettig
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> writes:

> * Tim Bradshaw
> | Ah but everyone knows high newsgroup traffic means that the topic is
> | dead, because it's all just futile off-topic flamage.
>
>   Newsgroup volume is a measure of discontent.

Much better discontent than apathy.

From: Bruce Hoult
In article <·············@beta.franz.com>, Duane Rettig
<·····@franz.com> wrote:

> I'm back from vacation in New Zealand and Australia, and had a great
> time.

Oh!  Did you get to Wellington?  I wish I'd known.

-- Bruce