From: Sebastian Boldt
Subject: how to start programming lisp
Hello ppl,

I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp interpreter ;D
Does anybody know a good implementation? I looked for a GNU CLisp Interpreter,
I found one, GCL, but the last release available is from 1994.

Thanks...
	...Sebastian

From: Vebjorn Ljosa
Subject: Re: how to start programming lisp
* Sebastian Boldt <··············@t-online.de>

| I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp
| interpreter ;D

Welcome!

We usually write "Common Lisp" in full or abbreviate it to "CL".
There is an implementation called CLISP, so if you write "CLisp" when
you mean "Common Lisp", it may confuse people.

Also note that Lisp isn't necessarily interpreted anymore.  Most of
the interesting implementation include compilers that generate
high-quality native code.  Indeed, some implementations don't have an
interpreter at all---when you evaluate an expression interactively
with such an implementation, the expression in compiled on the fly.

| Does anybody know a good implementation? I looked for
| a GNU CLisp Interpreter, I found one, GCL, but the last release
| available is from 1994.

You should get something that's up-to-date instead of GNU Common Lisp,
which supports the "old" Common Lisp, the one that was used before the
ANSI standard.

You can find a list of implementations, free and commercial, on
<URL:http://www.lisp.org/table/systems.htm>.  You appear to be running
Linux on a PC, so these are the ones I think are most relevant to you:

 * Allegro CL (commercial, but free trial version available)
   <URL:http://www.franz.com/>)
 * CMUCL (free)
 * Lispworks (commercial, but free trial version available)
 * CLISP (free)

A good textbook is essential, but there are some on-line tutorials as
well.  See <URL:http://www.lisp.org/table/learn.htm>.

Some other resources that might be of use to you:
 * The Cliki (a Wiki)  <URL:http://ww.telent.net/cliki/index>
 * The IRC channel #lisp at irc.openprojects.net

--
Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Johannes =?iso-8859-15?q?Gr=F8dem?=
* Sebastian Boldt <··············@t-online.de>:

> I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp
> interpreter ;D

First off, I'd like to just point out that while most (all?) Common
Lisp environments have an interpreter, they also usually support
compiling to either native code or bytecode.

> Does anybody know a good implementation? I looked for a GNU CLisp
> Interpreter, I found one, GCL, but the last release available is
> from 1994.

If you want a good free implementation, I can recommend CMUCL[1].
CLISP[2] is also quite nice, but does not compile to native code.  If
you want to pay for it, check out Allegro Common Lisp[3] from Franz or
Lispworks[3] from Xanalys.

ACL also comes with a very slick Emacs-interface, by the way.  For
CMUCL and CLISP, you should use ILISP[4], which is also very slick,
but not quite as neat as ACL's ELI.  Though you can get by without
either of these, I seriously suggest you use them.

1. http://www.cons.org/cmucl/
2. http://clisp.cons.org/
3. These both have free trial version, and can be had at
   http://www.franz.com/ and http://www.xanalys.com/,
   respectively.
4. http://ilisp.sourceforge.net/

--
johs
From: Pierre R. Mai
Johannes =?iso-8859-15?q?Gr=F8dem?= <··@kopkillah.com> writes:

> * Sebastian Boldt <··············@t-online.de>:
>
> > I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp
> > interpreter ;D
>
> First off, I'd like to just point out that while most (all?) Common
> Lisp environments have an interpreter, they also usually support
> compiling to either native code or bytecode.

There are a number of implementations that "interpret" most forms by
going through the compiler and funcalling the result.  Sometimes the
"interpreter" picks off some common, easy cases, like function call
forms, and hands everything else off to the compiler.  CMU CL does
something similar, in that it has a very simple "interpreter", like
above, and everything else gets passed through the first stage of the
compiler, the resulting Internal Representation (IR1) is then
interpreted.

What is the case in nearly all current implementations is that
compiling code is the norm, and the interpreter is usually only
employed for interactive work at the REPL or sometimes debugging
(there are of course other uses for the interpreter, but those are
more the exception than the norm).

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Brian P Templeton
SBCL is a fork off of CMUCL development, and is an excellent example
of a large, complex system written in Common Lisp.

--
BPT <···@tunes.org>	    		/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
backronym for Linux:			\ / No HTML or RTF in mail
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Sebastian Boldt <··············@t-online.de> writes:

> Hello ppl,
>
> I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp
> interpreter ;D Does anybody know a good implementation? I looked for
> a GNU CLisp Interpreter, I found one, GCL, but the last release
> available is from 1994.
>
> Thanks...
> 	...Sebastian

See <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN59> for an
up-to-date list.

Edi.
From: Mark Watson
Sebastian Boldt wrote:

> I want to start programming CLisp and need at first a CLisp interpreter ;D
> Does anybody know a good implementation? I looked for a GNU CLisp
> Interpreter, I found one, GCL, but the last release available is from
> 1994.

If you run under either Linux or Windows, I recommend the
free educational version of LispWorks.  It is a large
download, but you can get it from www.xanalys.com

The clisp system is also very good, but for a
beginner, get LispWorks and work through the
included manuls.

-Mark

-- Mark Watson, author and consultant
-- www.markwatson.com