From: Raymond Tam
Subject: newbie question
Thanks for all the explanation and suggestions!
I'll definitly explore more using the key bindings in emacs for lisp.

one question remain unclear to me though, suppose you don't know the
function/variable name of some specific task that you want to perfrom
(such as open socket for reading stream), how do I search for this?

(in java, I'd first look up 'java.net', then under this category, I'll
look up function from 'top-down' level.

is there similiar approach in lisp?

Thanks in advance,
raymond
From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: newbie question
Raymond Tam wrote:

> Thanks for all the explanation and suggestions!
> I'll definitly explore more using the key bindings in emacs for lisp.
>
> one question remain unclear to me though, suppose you don't know the
> function/variable name of some specific task that you want to perfrom
> (such as open socket for reading stream), how do I search for this?
>
> (in java, I'd first look up 'java.net', then under this category, I'll
> look up function from 'top-down' level.
>
> is there similiar approach in lisp?

well ACL has on-line doc with indexes and tables of content. But I would
just fire up apropos and type in "socket". apropos returns symbol with
"socket" in its name, gives me a good start.

kenny
clinisys