From: Nils Goesche
Subject: Why Deprecated?
Hi!

Some features of CL are `deprecated' according to the HyperSpec.  But
I like some of those, for instance functions like `remove-if-not'.  Am
I supposed to use `remove-if' with `complement' instead?  Why?  Maybe
it's because English is not my first language, but I find
`remove-if-not' much more expressive than the `complement' construct.

And what does `deprecated' mean, anyway -- they are not going to be
removed from the standard any time soon, are they?

Regards,
--
Nils Goesche

PGP key ID 0x42B32FC9

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Why Deprecated?
Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Some features of CL are `deprecated' according to the HyperSpec.  But
> I like some of those, for instance functions like `remove-if-not'.  Am
> I supposed to use `remove-if' with `complement' instead?  Why?  Maybe
> it's because English is not my first language, but I find
> `remove-if-not' much more expressive than the `complement' construct.
>
> And what does `deprecated' mean, anyway -- they are not going to be
> removed from the standard any time soon, are they?

I think it's generally accepted in the community that we made a mistake
deprecating those.

You should use :test (complement test) rather than :test-not test.
But for the -if-not functions, just use them and ignore the deprecation.

Deprecated functions are still required to be supported correctly in all
conforming implementations.

For information on the meaning of deprecation, see CLHS (I think it's in
chapter 1 somewhere).

http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/
From: Nils Goesche

> Nils Goesche <······@cartan.de> writes:
>
> > Some features of CL are `deprecated' according to the HyperSpec.  But
> > I like some of those, for instance functions like `remove-if-not'.

[snip]

> You should use :test (complement test) rather than :test-not test.

Ah good, that's what I'm doing, anyway :-)

> But for the -if-not functions, just use them and ignore the deprecation.

> > And what does `deprecated' mean, anyway -- they are not going to be
> > removed from the standard any time soon, are they?
>
> For information on the meaning of deprecation, see CLHS (I think it's in
> chapter 1 somewhere).

Yep, thanks.

Regards,
--