From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Zebu and CMUCL?
Does anybody compiled Zebu with CMUCL? I cann't compile it and I'm not
experienced enough...

I'm looking for a lexer/parser. Zebu seems very good but it doesn't work
with CMUCL.

Thanks

Tomas Hlavaty

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: Zebu and CMUCL?
Tomas Hlavaty <·······@labe.felk.cvut.cz> writes:

> Does anybody compiled Zebu with CMUCL? I cann't compile it and I'm not
> experienced enough...
>
> I'm looking for a lexer/parser. Zebu seems very good but it doesn't work
> with CMUCL.

In addition to asking here, you might also ask on the cmucl list
(cmucl-help at cons dot org).  I think this came up somewhat recently
(or was it on the sbcl list?)...

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Alexey Dejneka
Tomas Hlavaty <·······@labe.felk.cvut.cz> writes:
> Does anybody compiled Zebu with CMUCL? I cann't compile it and I'm not
> experienced enough...

Some time ago I faced with the problem: zebu's lexer did not work.

There is an error in sources: some type declarations (declare (string
smth)) should be changed to (declare (type (or string null)
smth)). You can find them compiling Zebu and looking for ~"unreachable
code removed" warnings. Sorry, I have no sources now and don't
remember the version I used.

Regards,
Alexey Dejneka

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming as a reclame of Fortran
From: Tomas Hlavaty
> Some time ago I faced with the problem: zebu's lexer did not work.
>
> There is an error in sources: some type declarations (declare (string
> smth)) should be changed to (declare (type (or string null)
> smth)). You can find them compiling Zebu and looking for ~"unreachable
> code removed" warnings. Sorry, I have no sources now and don't
> remember the version I used.

Is there any alternative to Zebu (CL lexer/parser)?

Tomas
From: Christian Lynbech

Tomas> Is there any alternative to Zebu (CL lexer/parser)?

There are several options.

First of all, the common lisp reader is actually a pretty nifty lexer
environment. It is highly programmable and will accommodate some
rather sophisticated lexing. Check the hyperspec for more information,
for instance at

   http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/chap-23.html

On top of this, Henry Baker has demonstrated how one can make a parser
with simple means. Bakers parser requires more work than fully
equipped parser generators such as zebu, but it will allow you to get
airborne with the absolute minimum of effort. Check out

   http://home.pipeline.com/~hbaker1/Prag-Parse.ps.Z

Finally, it may als be worth to check out the CMU repository which has
quite a number of "parser" entries:

   http://www-cgi.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/air_keys?keywords=parser&index=CMU+AI+Repository

Christian Lynbech       | Ericsson Telebit, Skanderborgvej 232, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8938 5244    | email: ·················@ted.ericsson.dk
Fax:   +45 8938 5101    | web:   www.ericsson.com
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Tomas Hlavaty
> Tomas> Is there any alternative to Zebu (CL lexer/parser)?
>
> There are several options...

Thank you for them.

Tomas Hlavaty