From: Gary Livingston
Subject: ACL CLOS optimization
To all:

Are there any references to how CLOS is implemented in Allegro Common Lisp and how to optimize
CLOS code?

I am writing a simple knowledge representation system for which efficiency is the major issue. Any suggestions
are appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: ACL CLOS optimization
Gary Livingston wrote:

> To all:
>
> Are there any references to how CLOS is implemented in Allegro Common Lisp and how to optimize
> CLOS code?

Not sure what you mean by "how", but ACL does implement the MOP perty
well. I have done a couple of metaclasses. one caveat: there are a few
points at which I think the ACL MOP implementation deviates from the
AMOP, so the latter cannot be used as a reference 100%. very close, tho.
indeed, the MOP doc they offer is an HTML version of stuff from AMOP.

so i /did/ work from the AMOP, just tried not to have a cow when
(rarely) something AMOP did not fly under ACL.

> I am writing a simple knowledge representation system for which efficiency is the major issue. Any suggestions
> are appreciated.

have fun? :) not sure what you are asking here either. maybe: make sure
you need the MOP? I believe vendors optimize standard-class CLOS and you
lose that once you go off on your own because, so you will begin your
"optimization" by slowing down quite a bit.

kenny
clinisys
From: Reini Urban
Gary Livingston wrote:
> Are there any references to how CLOS is implemented in Allegro Common Lisp
> and how to optimize CLOS code?
>
> I am writing a simple knowledge representation system for which efficiency
> is the major issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Duane Rettig posts from time to time a more detailed technical
explaination of their internals to this newsgroup.

I found only <·····················@beta.franz.com> from 1998
but I vaguely remember him talking about the internal structures they
are using and why it is so fast.

--
Reini Urban
http://tv.mur.at/film/