From: Wolfgang Zocher
Subject: GNU Commom Lisp: can't install
Hi,

I tried to install gcl-2.4.0 on an athlon system (1.2 GHz, 512 MB RAM)
running Linux (SuSE 7.3). After doing ./configure and make I got a
raw_gcl which delivers the following message when I start it:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  April 1994  32768 pages
Initializing ../lsp/defmacro.o
Initializing ../lsp/evalmacros.o
Initializing ../lsp/top.o
Initializing ../lsp/module.o

Error: Caught fatal error [memory may be damaged]
Error signalled by an anonymous function.
Broken at SYSTEM::BREAK-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

So, the following installation steps to get the saved_gcl failed..

What's wrong?

Thank you all,

Wolfgang Zocher

From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Subject: Re: GNU Commom Lisp: can't install
I can't answer your question, but if you don't have specific reasons
to use GCL you should consider an implementation that purports to be
ANSI-compliant like CMUCL, CLISP or SBCL instead - see
<http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN59> for more
details. CLISP comes with the SuSE 7.3 distribution and can be
installed by YaST. It is also GPL'd - if that matters to you.

Good luck,
Edi.

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: FAQ, SPLIT-SEQUENCE (was Re: GNU Commom Lisp: can't install)
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> see
> <http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/lispfaq.html#AEN59> for more
> details.

The appearance of this (the first referral to the FAQ as a service
rather than as a thing in development) spurred me to do the following
things:

* Noted and acted upon (on the CLiki PARTITION and SPLIT-SEQUENCE pages)
the community consensus that SPLIT-SEQUENCE was the way to go for a
function that splits sequences.

* Uploaded a cCLan package, cl-split-sequence, to reflect this; it is
currently backwards-compatible, with warnings (thanks, Tim Bradshaw)
when the old names are compiled.

* Put a copy of this reference implementation at
  <URL:http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/split-sequence.lisp>.

* Changed the answer to the split question in the above-cited FAQ.

I'm conscious of the fact that the answer does not fully reflect the
view of some that splitting strings is usually avoidable and thus
wasteful, so please don't yet treat the document as set in stone; this
obviously goes for the rest of the document as well...

Cheers,

Christophe
--
Jesus College, Cambridge, CB5 8BL                           +44 1223 510 299
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/~csr21/                  (defun pling-dollar
From: Gabe Garza
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm conscious of the fact that the answer does not fully reflect the
> view of some that splitting strings is usually avoidable and thus
> wasteful, so please don't yet treat the document as set in stone; this
> obviously goes for the rest of the document as well...

Maybe a short explanation of why some people don't think splitting
strings is a good way to parse things and a pointer to the Meta paper
would balance things out?

Gabe Garza
From: Vebjorn Ljosa
* Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk>

| * Noted and acted upon (on the CLiki PARTITION and SPLIT-SEQUENCE pages)
| the community consensus that SPLIT-SEQUENCE was the way to go for a
| function that splits sequences.

It would be really cool if the italicized terms were links to the
Hyperspec glossary, just as symbols in the COMMON-LISP package are
links to the relevant Hyperspec page.

--
Vebjorn Ljosa
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm conscious of the fact that the answer does not fully reflect the
> view of some that splitting strings is usually avoidable and thus
> wasteful [...]

I have written some kind of split-sequence for my own usage (not as
general as your version) and I actually use it from time to time
because I think I need it. So I'm interested in how this can be
avoided and why it is considered wasteful. Can you provide a pointer
to this discussion that I must have missed? I tried to find it at
groups.google.com but I wasn't successful.

Thanks in advance,
Edi.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
···@agharta.de (Dr. Edmund Weitz) writes:

> Christophe Rhodes <·····@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm conscious of the fact that the answer does not fully reflect the
> > view of some that splitting strings is usually avoidable and thus
> > wasteful [...]
>
> I have written some kind of split-sequence for my own usage (not as
> general as your version) and I actually use it from time to time
> because I think I need it. So I'm interested in how this can be
> avoided and why it is considered wasteful. Can you provide a pointer
> to this discussion that I must have missed? I tried to find it at
> groups.google.com but I wasn't successful.

It's wasteful because you cons up new strings/vectors/whatever
unnecessarily.  If I wanted to parse a line of IP addresses, I could
do something like:

    "123.123.123.123 222.222.222.222 031.241.088.111"
=>  ("123.123.123.123" "222.222.222.222" "031.241.088.111")
=>  (("123" "123" "123" "123")
     ("222" "222" "222" "222")
     ("031" "241" "088" "111"))
=>  (#(123 123 123 123) #(222 222 222 222) #(31 241 88 111))

But you'll notice that I created 15 unnecessary strings, and did it in
O(3n) time.  This could all be parsed in one pass, with no
intermediate results; or, rather than cons up new strings for the
intermediate results, pairs of indexes into the vector could be used,
which are much cheaper.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |