From: Jorge
Subject: Travelling Salesman Problem
Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem coded in LISP?

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Travelling Salesman Problem
········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:

> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman
> problem coded in LISP?

Is this a homework assignment?
From: Jochen Schmidt
Jorge wrote:

> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> coded in LISP?

Yes I have why?

ciao,
Jochen

--
http://www.dataheaven.de
From: Pierre R. Mai
········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:

> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> coded in LISP?

I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
contain it...

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre R. Mai <····@acm.org>                    http://www.pmsf.de/pmai/
 We cause accidents.                           -- Nathaniel Borenstein
From: Andrzej Lewandowski
On 12 Nov 2001 17:15:52 +0100, "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote:

>········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
>
>> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
>> coded in LISP?
>
>I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
>problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
>contain it...

My Grandma was saying: "If you have nothing to say, stay quiet". Your
response is in full concert with general tone of comp.lang.lisp that I
have recently learned trying to participate in other, ehem...
"discussion".

A.L.
From: Kent M Pitman
Andrzej Lewandowski <·············@attglobal.net> writes:

> On 12 Nov 2001 17:15:52 +0100, "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote:
>
> >········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> >> coded in LISP?
> >
> >I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
> >problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
> >contain it...
> >

> My Grandma was saying: "If you have nothing to say, stay quiet". Your
> response is in full concert with general tone of comp.lang.lisp that I
> have recently learned trying to participate in other, ehem...
> "discussion".

First, it was pretty plainly a joke, and quite a funny one.  His tone
wasn't negative in any way.  Though once again, I agree with the suggestions
others have made that your tone is what's being pretty negative--you
seem to be seeing negativity where none is intended.

Second, the original poster asked about code not tools/libraries.
That's a strong hint that homework is involved.  The community does not
like to do people's homework by accident.  We're all just kind of biding
our time waiting for an answer to the question that's been asked about
whether it is in fact homework.  If he were just to post saying what his
application is and/or assuring us it's not homework, I think people would
be a lot more helpful.
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Andrzej Lewandowski <·············@attglobal.net> writes:

> On 12 Nov 2001 17:15:52 +0100, "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote:
>
> >········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman
> >> problem coded in LISP?
> >
> >I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling
> >salesman problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is
> >too short to contain it...
> >
> My Grandma was saying: "If you have nothing to say, stay
> quiet". Your response is in full concert with general tone of
> comp.lang.lisp that I have recently learned trying to participate in
> other, ehem...  "discussion".

One has to conclude that either you didn't get the joke or your sense
of humour is really underdeveloped. Anyway, _your_ tone here is in
full concert with the tone in the rest of your postings to this
newsgroup where you managed to alienate almost everyone who bothered
to take the time to answer your questions.

Edi.
From: Pierre R. Mai
Andrzej Lewandowski <·············@attglobal.net> writes:

> On 12 Nov 2001 17:15:52 +0100, "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote:
>
> >········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> >> coded in LISP?
> >
> >I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
> >problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
> >contain it...
> >

> My Grandma was saying: "If you have nothing to say, stay quiet". Your

But why didn't you listen to her?

Regs, Pierre.

From: ········@acm.org
Andrzej Lewandowski <·············@attglobal.net> writes:
> On 12 Nov 2001 17:15:52 +0100, "Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote:
>
> >········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> >> coded in LISP?

> >I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling
> >salesman problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is
> >too short to contain it...

> My Grandma was saying: "If you have nothing to say, stay
> quiet". Your response is in full concert with general tone of
> comp.lang.lisp that I have recently learned trying to participate in
> other, ehem...  "discussion".

Ah, but it has the merit of being a clever response that is _funny_.

It is eminently typical for discussions on comp.lang.lisp to degrade
into flamage that I don't think you've seen yet.  (If you think Tim
Bradshaw was being medievally mean to you, you have certainly not seen
the Flames of #Erik yet...)

Posting a _joke_ in response to Yet Another Probable Homework
Assignment is the exact opposite of flaming, from what I can see...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ········@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/finances.html
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article <··············@orion.bln.pmsf.de>, Pierre R. Mai wrote:
> ········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
>
>> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
>> coded in LISP?
>
> I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
> problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
> contain it...

I wonder if it will take 400 years for this postulate to be disproven
as well.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: ········@acm.org
Kevin Rosenberg <·····@rosenberg.net> writes:
> In article <··············@orion.bln.pmsf.de>, Pierre R. Mai wrote:
> > ········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> >> coded in LISP?
> >
> > I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
> > problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
> > contain it...

> I wonder if it will take 400 years for this postulate to be
> disproven as well.

It's likely to involve:
 (require 'ELLIPTICAL-CURVES)

which is a package that hasn't been standardized yet :-)
--
(concatenate 'string "chris" ·@cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article, ········@acm.org wrote:
> It's likely to involve:
>  (require 'ELLIPTICAL-CURVES)
>
> which is a package that hasn't been standardized yet :-)

Andrew Wiles did some fine work proving the Taniyama-Shimura
conjecture. The equivalence between elliptical curves and modular
forms, two different paradigms, is quite in teresting.

I enjoyed Simon Singh's Fermat's Enigma as dramatic, but not very
in depth, introduction to the subject.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: ········@acm.org
Kevin Rosenberg <·····@rosenberg.net> writes:
> In article, ········@acm.org wrote:
> > It's likely to involve:
> >  (require 'ELLIPTICAL-CURVES)
> >
> > which is a package that hasn't been standardized yet :-)
>
> Andrew Wiles did some fine work proving the Taniyama-Shimura
> conjecture. The equivalence between elliptical curves and modular
> forms, two different paradigms, is quite interesting.
>
> I enjoyed Simon Singh's Fermat's Enigma as dramatic, but not very
> in depth, introduction to the subject.

I'm more or less happy that nobody felt like gainsaying the
'ELLIPTICAL-CURVES thing; I've read some of the public literature on
the Fermat proof, and what I've concluded is that merely having a
M.Sc. in the mathematical realm is _not_ enough to touch on an
understanding of the proof.

Rather, having a Ph.D. in the most relevant areas of study would seem
to provide enough expertise to noodle around with some parts of the
proof; methinks it'll be another 400 years before they come up with a
proof that uses simple enough algebra to be approachable by other than
Real Experts...
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" ·@cbbrowne.com")
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article <...>, ········@acm.org wrote:
> I'm more or less happy that nobody felt like gainsaying the
> 'ELLIPTICAL-CURVES thing; I've read some of the public literature on
> the Fermat proof, and what I've concluded is that merely having a
> M.Sc. in the mathematical realm is _not_ enough to touch on an
> understanding of the proof.
>
> Rather, having a Ph.D. in the most relevant areas of study would seem
> to provide enough expertise to noodle around with some parts of the
> proof; methinks it'll be another 400 years before they come up with a
> proof that uses simple enough algebra to be approachable by other than
> Real Experts...

I agree, a Ph.D. with a focus on number theory would be a minimum to
fully understand the proof and its implications. Perhaps even a
post-doc fellowship or equivalent experience would be required.

I believe one can have a "touch of understanding" about an advanced
subject without fully comprehending the details. To my thinking,
that's why periodicals such as Scientific American and Science News
exist: to give laypeople that touch.

Even in high school, some basic principles of quantum mechanics
mechanics are presented. Obviously, to fully understand the theories
and models requires doctorate level knowledge.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Coby Beck
"Pierre R. Mai" <····@acm.org> wrote in message
···················@orion.bln.pmsf.de...
> ········@bellsouth.net (Jorge) writes:
>
> > Does anyone have a coded solution for the travelling salesman problem
> > coded in LISP?
>
> I have a most elegant CL program that solves the travelling salesman
> problem in polynomial time.  Sadly this news posting is too short to
> contain it...

Talk about tempting fate!!  I hope you have good life insurance....  : )

Coby
--
(remove #\space "coby . beck @ opentechgroup . com")