From: Jan
Subject: How to store into an array
Hello,

       I am wondering if anyone know how to store a file of symbol
into an array? For instance in my file i have:

My name is Jan
How are you doing?
...etc

And i want to store this information into an array so that when i do
(aref array 2) ==> is

The problem is that i don't know how big the file is.

Thanks
Jan

From: ········@acm.org
Subject: Re: How to store into an array
·····@hotmail.com (Jan) writes:
> Hello,
>
>        I am wondering if anyone know how to store a file of symbol
> into an array? For instance in my file i have:
>
> My name is Jan
> How are you doing?
> ....etc
>
> And i want to store this information into an array so that when i do
> (aref array 2) ==> is
>
> The problem is that i don't know how big the file is.

This sounds like something you should use a list for; push items onto
the list, and, if you _need_ to, translate the list into an array.

Ask yourself if you truly _need_ an array...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string ··········@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/linux.html
From: JP Massar
On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 19:27:35 GMT, ········@acm.org wrote:

>·····@hotmail.com (Jan) writes:
>> Hello,
>>
>>        I am wondering if anyone know how to store a file of symbol
>> into an array? For instance in my file i have:
>>
>> My name is Jan
>> How are you doing?
>> ....etc
>>
>> And i want to store this information into an array so that when i do
>> (aref array 2) ==> is
>>
>> The problem is that i don't know how big the file is.
>
>This sounds like something you should use a list for; push items onto
>the list, and, if you _need_ to, translate the list into an array.

Or look at creating an adjustable array with a fill pointer (See
MAKE-ARRAY), and using VECTOR-PUSH-EXTEND.