From: Wayne Iba
Subject: Problem building uncommonSQL on CMUCL
I want to access a postgres database from CMUCL.  I'm unable to build
uncommonsql (1.0.3) on CMUCL 18c (debian version 2.4.19).  I'm on a
Mandrake if that turns out to be an issue.

The build seems to fail when compiling the function
drop-view-from-class in the file sql/objects.lisp.  The error reports:

#<SQL-IDENT-ATTRIBUTE NAME> fell through ETYPECASE expression.
Wanted one of ...

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Return NIL from load of "makefile".
  1: [ABORT   ] Skip remaining initializations.

Debug  (type H for help)

(SQL-ESCAPE #<SQL-IDENT-ATTRIBUTE NAME>)
Source: (ETYPECASE IDENTIFIER
          (SYMBOL (SYMBOL-NAME IDENTIFIER))
          (STRING IDENTIFIER))
0]

Nothing stands out in the code for drop-view-from-class.  Please offer
suggestions.

Is this a configuration issue on my machine (e.g., Debian vs.
Mandrake)?
Is this a minor problem in the uncommonSQL code?
Am I trying to build it incorrectly?
Am I missing something that is required?
Is there a different mechanism to access my database from CMUCL?

Thanks for your help.
--Wayne

From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: Problem building uncommonSQL on CMUCL

can't help with the rest, but

  wi> Is there a different mechanism to access my database from CMUCL?

yes, there's a wonderful bit of CL code that speaks the PostgreSQL
frontend/backend protocol, allowing you to talk to the postmaster over
a socket. Thus you avoid fiddling around with FFI calls to the libpq
stuff. You can get it at

  <URL:http://www.chez.com/emarsden/downloads/>

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>
From: Craig Brozefsky
···@apres.stanford.edu (Wayne Iba) writes:

> I want to access a postgres database from CMUCL.  I'm unable to build
> uncommonsql (1.0.3) on CMUCL 18c (debian version 2.4.19).  I'm on a
> Mandrake if that turns out to be an issue.

I suggest you use the defsystem interface for loading the USQL
system.  It appears you tried loading the makefile, which was intended
for building CMUCL "libraries" and is not directly supported.

(mk:oos "UncommonSQL" :load) shoudl do the trick one you load the
system file and make sure the logical path translations are taken care
of.

Also, Rahul Jain has USQL Debian packages available, you may use alien
to install them.

--
Craig Brozefsky                           <·····@red-bean.com>
                                http://www.red-bean.com/~craig