From: Artist
Subject: Beginner Learner
HI,
 I have started to learn emacs and got little intro to lisp. My
background is lots of perl. I would like to know how lisp can be
beneficial. Any good pointers would be useful..

Thanks,
Artist

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Beginner Learner
············@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

>  I have started to learn emacs and got little intro to lisp. My
> background is lots of perl. I would like to know how lisp can be
> beneficial. Any good pointers would be useful..

Turn the question around.  What do you want to do with Lisp?  i.e.,
what do you want to program.  Lisp is as good a way to do it as anything.
From: Artist
Hi,
 I have written lots of program in perl.
 Now, as learning another interesting language, my challange would be
to do all the things in Lisp which I do in perl . In order to begin, I
would also like to know where lisp is used. While learning Java, one
has to think completely in 'object oriented'  fashion.  Perl has no
GUI by itself  but perl  packages such as Tk or Graph Module can do
the stuff.  Perl has good things in  quick programming, regular
expressions, CPAN, perlmonks, packages for almost each and everything
, 'there is more than one way to do' concept. Obviously lisp has its
own functionality.  Would like to what's good in Lisp.

From: thi
············@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

  Would like to what's good in Lisp.

verb missing. ;->

thi
From: Richard Krush
Artist <············@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have written lots of program in perl.
> Now, as learning another interesting language, my challange would be
> to do all the things in Lisp which I do in perl . In order to begin, I
> would also like to know where lisp is used. While learning Java, one
> has to think completely in 'object oriented'  fashion.

You will probably be surprised to find out that Lisp does force you to
think in anything in particular. The natural programming styles for Lisp
include imperative, procedural, functional, object-oriented, and probably
unique Lispy. If you put some more effort, you can program in declarative,
logical, and any other style as well.

This is one of the beauties of Lisp, it does not constrain you, but
gives you complete freedom to do what you need. It is trully general
purpose language beside which C, C++, Java, PERL, etc. are seen as very
special purpose languages.

> Perl has no GUI by itself  but perl  packages such as Tk or Graph Module
> can do the stuff.  Perl has good things in  quick programming, regular
> expressions, CPAN, perlmonks, packages for almost each and everything,
> 'there is more than one way to do' concept. Obviously lisp has its own
> functionality.  Would like to what's good in Lisp.

I don't know about packages available for Lisp, but I do know that several
GUI toolkits are available (commercial and free ones), pattern matching
packages, packages for interaction with databases, network libraries, and
so on.

Good luck!

--
 Richard Krushelnitskiy   "I know not with what weapons World War III will
 ·········@gmx.net         be fought, but World War IV will be fought with
From: Marco Antoniotti
············@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:

> HI,
>  I have started to learn emacs and got little intro to lisp. My
> background is lots of perl. I would like to know how lisp can be
> beneficial. Any good pointers would be useful..

It may make you see the light :)  Of course a Zen-like attitude would
be helpful in this case. Un-learn and re-learn.  Also, you want Common
Lisp

Cheers

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Erik Naggum
* ············@yahoo.com (Artist)
| I have started to learn emacs and got little intro to lisp.  My
| background is lots of perl.  I would like to know how lisp can be
| beneficial.  Any good pointers would be useful..

  Let each language you (want to) learn be your first, because the first
  language you did learn was found at random and is unrelated to _any_
  quality of the language other than being in the same place you were at
  that particular time.  So, how did you start off with Perl?  Did you ask
  the same questions of Perl as you now do of Lisp?  Why is it appropriate
  to use what you have accidentally stumbled on and meandered through at
  random with Perl as the basis for your next language?  If you can find
  (Common) Lisp used somewhere around you, that is the best way to start.

  If you are interested in it because it looks really cool (it is!), search
  the Web for words like "lisp", "defun", "defmacro", etc, and search your
  favorite online bookstore for "lisp".  You may find more than you expect.

///
--
  Norway is now run by a priest from the fundamentalist Christian People's
  Party, the fifth largest party representing one eighth of the electorate.
From: Artist
Erik Naggum <····@naggum.net> wrote in message news:<················@naggum.net>...
> * ············@yahoo.com (Artist)
> | I have started to learn emacs and got little intro to lisp.  My
> | background is lots of perl.  I would like to know how lisp can be
> | beneficial.  Any good pointers would be useful..
>
>   Let each language you (want to) learn be your first, because the first
>   language you did learn was found at random and is unrelated to _any_
>   quality of the language other than being in the same place you were at
>   that particular time.  So, how did you start off with Perl?  Did you ask
>   the same questions of Perl as you now do of Lisp?  Why is it appropriate
>   to use what you have accidentally stumbled on and meandered through at
>   random with Perl as the basis for your next language?  If you can find
>   (Common) Lisp used somewhere around you, that is the best way to start.

Good Points..
 It's 'what' we want to add to our experience.
 'Have always fresh Look at new things' or 'what to add in the existing tools'.