From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Can't post to Free CLIM list
I am currently unable to post to the Free CLIM mailing list. What is its
address? free-clim AT mikemac DOT com or free-clim AT cons DOT org? Mail
sent to the former is refused by the SMTP server, which complains that it
can't check the MX record for host mikemac DOT com (this also happens when
sending mail directly to Mike McDonald). Mail sent to the latter
disappears.

Paolo
http://web.mclink.it/amoroso/ency/README
[http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/EncyCMUCLopedia/]

From: Martin Cracauer
Subject: Re: Can't post to Free CLIM list
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

>I am currently unable to post to the Free CLIM mailing list. What is its
>address? free-clim AT mikemac DOT com or free-clim AT cons DOT org? Mail
>sent to the former is refused by the SMTP server, which complains that it
>can't check the MX record for host mikemac DOT com (this also happens when
>sending mail directly to Mike McDonald). Mail sent to the latter
>disappears.

Hm, good question.  I considered the cons org list superseded by
Mike's own list and didn't bother to carry it over to my emergency
machines when seagull went down in flames.  I would expect the mail to
bounce with a clear error message, though.

I would say try to reach Mike on a different address.  If that doesn't
work, I'm willing to give you (and only you) the last subscriber list
of the last cons org instance of that list so that you can ask people
over there.  If Mike can't host the list anymore, I can do, but I
guess he just has temporary mail problems.

Martin [reach me at cons org, this address is mostly a spam-eater]
--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Martin Cracauer <········@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/
From: Mike McDonald
In article <·············@counter.bik-gmbh.de>,
	········@counter.bik-gmbh.de (Martin Cracauer) writes:
> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
>
>>I am currently unable to post to the Free CLIM mailing list. What is its
>>address? free-clim AT mikemac DOT com or free-clim AT cons DOT org? Mail
>>sent to the former is refused by the SMTP server, which complains that it
>>can't check the MX record for host mikemac DOT com (this also happens when
>>sending mail directly to Mike McDonald). Mail sent to the latter
>>disappears.
>
> Hm, good question.  I considered the cons org list superseded by
> Mike's own list and didn't bother to carry it over to my emergency
> machines when seagull went down in flames.  I would expect the mail to
> bounce with a clear error message, though.

  The difference was that the list at mikemac.com includes the CVS log
messages. A member of the cons DOT com list asked that we not send CVS log
messages to that list so I created the mikemac.com one. Everyone who's working
on McCLIM is on the mikemac.com list, so that's where all the interesting
discussions take place.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com
From: Mike McDonald
In article <····························@4ax.com>,
	Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
> I am currently unable to post to the Free CLIM mailing list. What is its
> address? free-clim AT mikemac DOT com or free-clim AT cons DOT org? Mail
> sent to the former is refused by the SMTP server, which complains that it
> can't check the MX record for host mikemac DOT com (this also happens when
> sending mail directly to Mike McDonald). Mail sent to the latter
> disappears.
>

> Paolo

  free-clim at mikemac.com is working for everyone else. One thing that did
change on Saturn a couple of months ago was I turned off relaying of Email.
(Spammers were using my machine to relay their junk.)  As a result, Saturn
checks to see if it can do a DNS lookup of the sending host.  If it can't, it
punts the Email. (Even I can't send Email to mikemac.com from my work machine
as it doesn't have a valid DNS entry.) Actually, it tries to send the Email
back to you but if you have a "bogus" return address, that'll probably fail
too. I guess I could turn on `accept_unresolvable_domains' but that'll
increase spam.

  You should be able to send me Email as mikemac AT scyld DOT com. Forward me
a copy of the error message if you can.

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com