From: Delaregue
Subject: sockets, tunneling http
Hello,

In my quest to learn common lisp in 10 years instead of 24 hours after
a very depressing lesson (netherless extremely positive) from Erik
Naggum which told me I was a tool programmer, I'm trying to write a
program with clisp which will tunnel protocols like pop or smtp
through an http proxy.

Basically, your favourite email client connects to the lisp program,
which will redirect the request to an HTTP-proxy with the HTTP
encapsulated data, which will connect to the pop or smtp server...

It works if I use telnet as a pop client or smtp client. If I try to
use VM or Outlook, it will abort after a while...which is more
annoying.
Using Ethereal to sniff the session shows it stops when the password
is being sent.

I am rather new to sockets as well but it looks like it is just a
matter to figure when to read or write from the proxy socket and the
client socket.
If I refer to clisp (socket-status) function the state of the sockets
are either :IO or :OUTPUT. They are sometimes both :OUTPUT or  both
:IO!!!. When do I know I should read/write from the client socket or
the tunnel socket?
Can I do it at the same time? Is there something I am forgetting or
doing wrong?
From: Christopher Stacy
Subject: Re: sockets, tunneling http
You should get a good Sockets programming book to
understand what you need to do for this project.