From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Lisp's public image...
In article <··································@4ax.com>, Fernando wrote:
>Hi!
>
>From a discussion in borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> There is an incomprehensible tendency among C++ people to favor EMACS
>> (which I personally detest). That EMACS is a Lisp-based system, about as
>> far removed from the spirit of C++ as anything I can imagine makes it all
>> the more curious. To each his own.
>

>We definitely agree here.  Of all the scripting languages, why did they
>choose Lisp?  They basically picked one of the most difficult languages
>in existence, which is probably a shock to newcomers, unless they are
>already CS grads and Lisp programmers.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>C++ programmers that consider Lisp a difficult language to grasp... =:-O

Note that these are some goofballs hanging around a vendor-specific
compiler newsgroup. Nobody in their right mind uses anything Borland
anymore. You might as well have read this in the CP/M users group.
So, what I'm trying to say, is that this has nothing to do with the
public image of anything.

Also note that they can't think rationally, nor understand each other.

One says basically this:

1. Emacs is favored by C++ programmers. [ Editorial translation:
   a few C++ programmers I know use Emacs, from which we can clearly
   extrapolate to the entire population. ]
2. I detest Emacs.
3. Why other people like things I detest is incomprehensible to me.
   [ Editorial translation: my ego does not permit the investigation of
   view points held by others. ]
4. Therefore I can't comprehend why others like Emacs.

5. Emacs is based on Lisp.
6. Lisp is very different from C++.
7. It's curious to me that users of one language can favor a tool based
   on a different language. [ Editorial translation: programming
   languages are religions or political camps. Moreover, they all
   compete for the same small set of one's brain-cells. ]
8. Therefore, to me, it's curious as well as incomprehensible why
   C++ programmers like Emacs.

The other replies:

1. I agree with all this, Lisp is difficult. [ Editorial translation:
   I either have no reading comprehension, or I just like to write
   semi-automatic ``me too'' postings in response to anything that
   contains a few trigger keywords like Emacs or Lisp. ]