From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Lisp's public image...
In article <··································@4ax.com>, Fernando wrote:
>Hi!
>
>From a discussion in borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> There is an incomprehensible tendency among C++ people to favor EMACS
>> (which I personally detest). That EMACS is a Lisp-based system, about as
>> far removed from the spirit of C++ as anything I can imagine makes it all
>> the more curious. To each his own.
>

>We definitely agree here.  Of all the scripting languages, why did they
>choose Lisp?  They basically picked one of the most difficult languages
>in existence, which is probably a shock to newcomers, unless they are
>already CS grads and Lisp programmers.
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>C++ programmers that consider Lisp a difficult language to grasp... =:-O

Note that these are some goofballs hanging around a vendor-specific
compiler newsgroup. Nobody in their right mind uses anything Borland
anymore. You might as well have read this in the CP/M users group.

Also note that they can't think rationally, nor understand each other.

One says basically this:

1. Emacs is favored by C++ programmers. [ Editorial translation:
   a few C++ programmers I know use Emacs, from which we can clearly
   extrapolate to the entire population. ]
2. I detest Emacs.
3. Why other people like things I detest is incomprehensible to me.
   [ Editorial translation: my ego does not permit the investigation of
   view points held by others. ]
4. Therefore I can't comprehend why others like Emacs.

5. Emacs is based on Lisp.
6. Lisp is very different from C++.
7. It's curious to me that users of one language can favor a tool based
   on a different language. [ Editorial translation: programming
   languages are religions or political camps. Moreover, they all
   compete for the same small set of one's brain-cells. ]
8. Therefore, to me, it's curious as well as incomprehensible why
   C++ programmers like Emacs.

The other replies:

1. I agree with all this, Lisp is difficult. [ Editorial translation:
   I either have no reading comprehension, or I just like to write
   semi-automatic ``me too'' postings in response to anything that
   contains a few trigger keywords like Emacs or Lisp. ]