From: Jose Carlos Senciales
Subject: Apply Limits
Hi,

You Know that Apply Applies a function to the args.

Syntax:
Apply function &rest args+ => result*

Well, I would like to know if anyone can said to me which is the max
length limit in a call to apply?.

I'm using Lispworks for Windows and i mean must to have some golbal
variable for control this.

Thank you..

--
*

          *                *

*
              Jos� Carlos Senciales Chaves
(reverse (concatenate 'string ···········@" "nescoj"))
                   ······@lcc.uma.es

From: Jose Carlos Senciales
Subject: Re: Apply Limits
ohh,sorry,  when i said "max length limit" i refer to max length limit
of &rest args+.

thanks

Jose Carlos Senciales wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You Know that Apply Applies a function to the args.
>
> Syntax:
> Apply function &rest args+ => result*
>
> Well, I would like to know if anyone can said to me which is the max
> length limit in a call to apply?.
>
> I'm using Lispworks for Windows and i mean must to have some golbal
> variable for control this.
>
> Thank you..
>
> --
> *
>
>           *                *
>
> *
>               Jos� Carlos Senciales Chaves
> (reverse (concatenate 'string ···········@" "nescoj"))
>                    ······@lcc.uma.es

*

          *                *

*
From: Kent M Pitman
Jose Carlos Senciales <······@lcc.uma.es> writes:

> ohh,sorry,  when i said "max length limit" i refer to max length limit
> of &rest args+.

As Raymond Wiker already said, the system-defined variable
CALL-ARGUMENTS-LIMIT will hold the upper limit for all arguments in
any function call.  APPLY will construct a call, so the call it
constructs must not have an argument length longer than than this
number.

The variable's value may be different in each implementation, but is
required to be at least 50.  This is an "upper exclusive" bound; that is,
the actual number of arguments must be strictly less than the value of
the variable CALL-ARGUMENTS-LIMIT.
From: Jose Carlos Senciales
Thanks, CALL-ARGUMENTS-LIMIT was exactly what i am looking for.

From: Raymond Wiker
Jose Carlos Senciales <······@lcc.uma.es> writes:

> Hi,
>
> You Know that Apply Applies a function to the args.
>
> Syntax:
> Apply function &rest args+ => result*
>
> Well, I would like to know if anyone can said to me which is the max
> length limit in a call to apply?.
>
> I'm using Lispworks for Windows and i mean must to have some golbal
> variable for control this.
>
> Thank you..

        call-arguments-limit may be what you're looking for. Note that
this is not likely to be settable; further, it's going to differ among
implementations. In SBCL (and thus probably also CMUCL) it appears to
be 536870911 (which should be sufficient :-), but it may be as low as
50.

        Conclusion: if you need to worry about the exact value of
call-arguments-limit, you should probably consider a redesign.

--
Raymond Wiker
From: Jose Carlos Senciales
Thanks :-)
My LispWorks for Windows has  call-arguments-limit = 255.
I�ll have change a little my desing.
Thanks  :-))

--
*