From: Deepak Goel
Subject: function-documentation returns nil.. :(
hello

[1] Has anybody written some emacs code that takes you directly to the
appropriate page on franz.com (in a lynx/netscape), when you request a
function-documentation, say in an inferior-lisp within emacs?

[2] Do i even need this function?  Whenever, on my allegro common
lisp, i ask for documentation: eg. (documentation 'with-timeout), i
always get nil.  I tried C-c C-f in inferior-lisp, and i get the same
result.

I thought it is just our maryland's allegro lisp that is not properly
installed, but i went to cmu recently, and it's the same there.

Is it a general property of allegro lisp that the documentation for
anything is "NIL", so you have to go to their website?  Or is it just
me not knowing how to access the documentation properly?

[3] And finally, in emacs, there is a nice find-tag which takes me to
the source-code for any desired function, which helps you learn a lot.
Is such a thing possible for Allegro CL?

--Deepak, http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: function-documentation returns nil.. :(
> [1] Has anybody written some emacs code that takes you directly to the
> appropriate page on franz.com (in a lynx/netscape), when you request a
> function-documentation, say in an inferior-lisp within emacs?

Last time I used acl, it had a fi:clman command to display the
documentation of any CL command directly in an Emacs buffer.
I don't have FI installed any more (and neither do I have acl),
but I kept fi:clman with the corresponding data file.

I seem to remember that more recent version of acl don't support this
fi:clman interface very well any more (the data file is not uptodate
and they recommend you to use the html doc intead), but maybe they
replaced it with a similar command that jumps to the html doc ??

	Stefan
From: Christian Nyb�
Deepak Goel <·····@rac3.wam.umd.edu> writes:

> [1] Has anybody written some emacs code that takes you directly to the
> appropriate page on franz.com (in a lynx/netscape), when you request a
> function-documentation, say in an inferior-lisp within emacs?

Using Erik Naggum's hyperspec.el as the template, I made up a list of
mappings between ACL-specific symbols and the corresponding html
documentation.

"M-x allegro-documentation RET with-timeout RET" displays
$ACL_HOME/doc/cl/pages/operators/mp/with-timeout.htm in Netscape.

Is that what you're looking for?
--
chr
From: Deepak Goel

> Using Erik Naggum's hyperspec.el as the template, I made up a list of
> mappings between ACL-specific symbols and the corresponding html
> documentation.
>
> "M-x allegro-documentation RET with-timeout RET" displays
> $ACL_HOME/doc/cl/pages/operators/mp/with-timeout.htm in Netscape.
>
> Is that what you're looking for?

yeah, that would be a great help.  Could you email it to me or post
it, perhaps on gnus.emacs.sources?

I will also try out fi:clman, thanks to Stefan.

--Deepak, http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego