From: Larry Loen
Subject: Newbie problem -- (loop) fails from examples.
I've made a couple of stabs at learning LISP on my own.  I know just above every major computer language except LISP and its
derivatives.

Right now, I'm baffled over something fairly simple.  I've got what is said to be a Common LISP implementation on my Linux box and
another at work (AIX) that is (I assume) Common LISP also.

I went to www.lisp.org and tried out a couple of basic examples with the loop construct and it fails on both implementations.

Are these just old or something?  What gives?

Under Linux:

GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  Version(2.3) Thu Sep 14 22:19:54 PDT 2000
Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

>(loop for I from 1 to 3 do (print I))

Error: The variable FOR is unbound.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by LOOP.
Broken at LOOP.  Type :H for Help.

Under AIX:

XLISP-PLUS version 2.1g
Portions Copyright (c) 1988, by David Betz.
Modified by Thomas Almy and others.
UNIX version

>(loop for I from 1 to 3 do (print I))
Error: The variable I is unbound.
Break level 1.
To continue, type (continue n), where n is an option number:
 0: Try evaluating the symbol I again.
 1: Return to Lisp Toplevel.

TIA.

Larry

From: Raymond Wiker
Subject: Re: Newbie problem -- (loop) fails from examples.
Larry Loen <······@us.ibm.com> writes:

> I've made a couple of stabs at learning LISP on my own.  I know just
> above every major computer language except LISP and its derivatives.
>
> Right now, I'm baffled over something fairly simple.  I've got what
> is said to be a Common LISP implementation on my Linux box and
> another at work (AIX) that is (I assume) Common LISP also.

        GCL has a somewhat tarnished reputation on comp.lang.lisp,
mainly because

        - it does not seem to be actively maintained
        - it makes no attempt to follow the ANSI standard

        I don't know about Xlisp-plus, but I suspect that it is *not*
Common Lisp.

        The loop forms you tried rely on the "extended loop" macro,
which I believe was added at a fairly late stage in ANSI Common Lisp
standardisation effort.

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no
From: Evan Prodromou

    RW> GCL has a somewhat tarnished reputation on comp.lang.lisp,
    RW> mainly because

    RW> - it does not seem to be actively maintained
    RW> - it makes no attempt to follow the ANSI standard

I can't speak to the ANSI compliance -- is there a compliance suite?
-- but a new version of GCL just came out a couple of weeks ago:

        http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/pub/gcl/gcl-2.4.0.tgz

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
····@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
From: Larry Loen
Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     RW> GCL has a somewhat tarnished reputation on comp.lang.lisp,
>     RW> mainly because
>
>     RW> - it does not seem to be actively maintained
>     RW> - it makes no attempt to follow the ANSI standard
>
> I can't speak to the ANSI compliance -- is there a compliance suite?
> -- but a new version of GCL just came out a couple of weeks ago:
>
>         http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/pub/gcl/gcl-2.4.0.tgz
>
> ~ESP
>
> --
> Evan Prodromou
> ····@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us

Tried it.  Managed to overcome some problems in the 386-linux.def file (does not run "off the shelf" in my Red Hat 7.0 system).

Still have one more problem I can't understand (relating to Lsocket type stuff):

/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d: In function `Lsocket':
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2175: `sKserver' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2175: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2175: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2176: `sKasync' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2177: `sKmyaddr' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2178: `sKmyport' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2166: warning: comparison between pointer and integer
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d: At top level:
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2191: `sKmyaddr' used prior to declaration
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2192: `sKmyport' used prior to declaration
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2193: `sKasync' used prior to declaration
/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o/file.d:2195: `sKserver' used prior to declaration
make[1]: *** [file.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gcl-2.4.0/o'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does anyone know how to overcome that?  I think if I could get around this, I'd have my gcl built.
From: Johan Kullstam
Larry Loen <······@rchland.vnet.ibm.com> writes:

> >     RW> GCL has a somewhat tarnished reputation on comp.lang.lisp,
> >     RW> mainly because
> >
> >     RW> - it does not seem to be actively maintained
> >     RW> - it makes no attempt to follow the ANSI standard
> >
> > I can't speak to the ANSI compliance -- is there a compliance suite?
> > -- but a new version of GCL just came out a couple of weeks ago:
> >
> >         http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/pub/gcl/gcl-2.4.0.tgz
> >
> > ~ESP
> >
> > --
> > Evan Prodromou
> > ····@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
>
> Tried it.  Managed to overcome some problems in the 386-linux.def
> file (does not run "off the shelf" in my Red Hat 7.0 system).

[errors elided]

> Does anyone know how to overcome that?  I think if I could get
> around this, I'd have my gcl built.

you would probably have an easier time if you went with clisp
instead.  clisp compiles from C sources, it is GPL'd, it conforms
reasonably well to the common lisp specifications and it works well
for me.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[········@ne.mediaone.net]
From: Friedrich Dominicus
Both seem to be non compliand Lisps. I do not know if one can find
somethin in gcl abou the extended loop form. But you'll find it in
either
CLisp or CMUCL.

And of course in LispWorks, ACL, Corman Lisp.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Raymond Toy

    Friedrich> Both seem to be non compliand Lisps. I do not know if
    Friedrich> one can find somethin in gcl abou the extended loop
    Friedrich> form.

GCL has sloop which is another implementation of a loop macro.  Don't
know if it's exactly the same as the ANSI loop.

In addition, the loop macro code available in the CMU Lisp archives
does work with GCL.  You can obtain a copy from
http://www.mindspring.com/~rtoy/software (address to change sometime
soon).

Ray