From: Aaron Sloman See text for reply address
Subject: A way to run linux poplog in a windows environment?
[To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]

I have been sent the following suggestion by Olivier Lefevre

> Subject: Poplog port to WNT/W2K
> To: Aaron Sloman <········@cs.bham.ac.uk>
>
> The easiest solution would be to compile poplog not as a
> stand-alone Windows app but within a Unix emulation
> environment like Cygwin, U/Win or Interix. Within these
> XFree86 and Motif are available and porting Unix apps
> is no harder than porting them to another Unix variant.

He tells me that in this context it should be possible to
run linux poplog as it is, i.e. as available from here:

    http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html

I wonder if anyone has experience of any of these Unix emulations, and
could recommend the best one to try (if I can find a PC running
WinNT or W2K on which to try it - I don't normally use a PC, except
a notebook running nothing but linux).

If anyone else has tried installing and running linux poplog in
one of these unix emulations, please let me know.

Thanks.

Aaron
====
Aaron Sloman, ( http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs/ )
EMAIL A.Sloman AT cs.bham.ac.uk   (········@please !)
PAPERS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/
FREE TOOLS: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html
From: Michael Worsley
Aaron Sloman See text for reply address <···············@cs.bham.ac.uk>
wrote in message ·················@soapbox.cs.bham.ac.uk...
> [To reply replace "Aaron.Sloman.XX" with "A.Sloman"]
>
> I have been sent the following suggestion by Olivier Lefevre
>
> > Subject: Poplog port to WNT/W2K
> > To: Aaron Sloman <········@cs.bham.ac.uk>
> >
> > The easiest solution would be to compile poplog not as a
> > stand-alone Windows app but within a Unix emulation
> > environment like Cygwin, U/Win or Interix. Within these
> > XFree86 and Motif are available and porting Unix apps
> > is no harder than porting them to another Unix variant.
>
> He tells me that in this context it should be possible to
> run linux poplog as it is, i.e. as available from here:
>
>     http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freepoplog.html
>
> I wonder if anyone has experience of any of these Unix emulations, and
> could recommend the best one to try (if I can find a PC running
> WinNT or W2K on which to try it - I don't normally use a PC, except
> a notebook running nothing but linux).

I use Cygwin to support most of my development work, primarily for access to
GNU-tools (thank goodness, a decent commandline shell on NT!), but don't
have any experience of creating XApps.  Certainly, this is an interesting
suggestion -- particularly (from the point of view of distributing one of
our products) if we could get some form of installation that didn't require
the end user to install the entire Cygwin distribution... (although the GPL
may have some effect on this as well... hmm)

> If anyone else has tried installing and running linux poplog in
> one of these unix emulations, please let me know.

Hmm.  It wouldn't be quite as simple as just installing and running linux
poplog, I fear. It would need a full rebuild.  Unfortunately I don't have
the X libraries on my machine at the moment, so I can't do a trial build.

--
Michael Worsley
SPARK Development Team (http://www.sparkada.com)