From: George Vaughan
Subject: lisp on redhat linux
Hi

I would like to use gnu common lisp on redhat linux. I downloaded gcl and
tried to compile it, but the compilation failed stating that the "pipe"
command was not found. I am using a very recent version of redhat.

Any hints or just pointers to using lisp with redhat linux?

Thanks,
George

From: Jock Cooper
Subject: Re: lisp on redhat linux
On Fri, 11 May 2001 03:16:10 GMT, "George Vaughan"
<········@columbus.rr.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I would like to use gnu common lisp on redhat linux. I downloaded gcl and
>tried to compile it, but the compilation failed stating that the "pipe"
>command was not found. I am using a very recent version of redhat.
>
>Any hints or just pointers to using lisp with redhat linux?
>
>Thanks,
>George

I couldn't get gcl to compile so I got clisp and cmucl..  Clisp
compiled easily; for CMU I just got the precompiled version somewhere.
I have been using CMU and it works great.  My productivity has doubled
in the past two months.
fyi I am using redhat 7
From: George Smith
"George Vaughan" <········@columbus.rr.com> writes:

[...]
> Any hints or just pointers to using lisp with redhat linux?
[...]

I'm very happy with cmucl on redhat.

Here are some links to look at:

General information on cmucl:

	http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/cons.org/

Good and extensive collection of documentation on cmucl from various
sources, including instructions on how to install on redhat (see below):

There is more than one way to install cmucl on redhat, and there has
been some discussion of the process in this newsgroup. Part of that
has been included in the EncyCMUCLopedia in:

	doc/devenv/installing-18c-on-rh70.txt

This document may describe the easiest way to install it.

I installed cmucl under red hat according to the instructions in:

	http://ww.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

This is based on using a debian package and did not work out of the
box for me with red hat. Thanks to suggestions made here, I took the
debian file apart and installed it manually.

This latter link is sure to be interesting even if you install it
differently, as it shows how to get cmucl hooked up to emacs (easy and
straightforward, sample code worked for me out of the box).

Hope this helps,

George Smith