From: Thaddeus L Olczyk
Subject: On Lisp or ACL.
I've found copies of ACL in a nearby computer store.
To let you know what edition it has a red cover.
( Amazon shows the 1st edition with a black cover. This may be
before that. Some publishers label the 2nd edition as the first since
they didn't label the first as anything. )
The last chapter was entitled object oriented programming, so I'm
a bit disappointed it doesn't go to objects sooner.
I've already got several other references ( most prominent Winston
and the online references ).
Should I pick up this book?
Or keep searching for On Lisp ( can't afford both at this time )?
From: Martin ``rydis'' Rydstr|m
Subject: Re: On Lisp or ACL.
TLO> The last chapter was entitled object oriented programming, so I'm
TLO> a bit disappointed it doesn't go to objects sooner.

Oh, it does. Chapter 11 is about CLOS. The final chapter (before the nice
brief language reference) is an example implementing an object-oriented
system in "basic Lisp". I don't think ACL is a really good book if your
main interest is CLOS, but I haven't read any of the other, more CLOS-
oriented, books.

TLO> I've already got several other references ( most prominent Winston and
TLO> the online references ). Should I pick up this book? Or keep searching
TLO> for On Lisp ( can't afford both at this time )?

_ANSI Common Lisp_ is a really good book, but it is rather fast paced /and/
low level, giving a decent grasp of most parts of the language. It doesn't
go really deep, and, well, feels a bit "light". I think it is a great book,
but most suitable as an introductory text to CL as a whole.

Regards,

'mr

--
Martin Rydstr|m,  ·····@cd.chalmers.se ; rationalize till I'm blue in the face,
				       ; you cannot lose if you throw the race.