From: ··········@questions.com
Subject: CAPI in Lispworks?
To learn Lisp I downloaded Xanalys Lispworks and started studying the CAPI
manual.  But now I'm confused about whether CAPI is even included.  I got the
impression from the Xanalys website that it was, but I can't seem to find it.
The Xanalys website seemed to be saying one of the big differences between
the free and professional versions is that the professional version has CLIM
2.0, with no mention of CAPI.  That seems to imply that CAPI is included with
the free version.  But is it?

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: CAPI in Lispworks?
··········@questions.com writes:

> To learn Lisp I downloaded Xanalys Lispworks and started studying the CAPI
> manual.  But now I'm confused about whether CAPI is even included.

Yes.  It's even in the personal edition.  You don't say what made you think
otherwise.

Start Lispworks and type:

 (capi:contain (make-instance 'capi:push-button :text "Push me"))

> I got the
> impression from the Xanalys website that it was,

Because it is.

> but I can't seem to find it.

You don't say how you lost it.  What did you try?

> The Xanalys website seemed to be saying one of the big differences between
> the free and professional versions is that the professional version has CLIM
> 2.0, with no mention of CAPI.

Only because it's taken for granted.

> That seems to imply that CAPI is included with
> the free version.  But is it?

Yes.
From: Jochen Schmidt
··········@questions.com wrote:

> To learn Lisp I downloaded Xanalys Lispworks and started studying the CAPI
> manual.  But now I'm confused about whether CAPI is even included.  I got
> the impression from the Xanalys website that it was, but I can't seem to
> find it. The Xanalys website seemed to be saying one of the big
> differences between the free and professional versions is that the
> professional version has CLIM
> 2.0, with no mention of CAPI.  That seems to imply that CAPI is included
> with
> the free version.  But is it?

Yes it is - AFAIK the whole IDE is written with CAPI.

Regards,
Jochen
From: ··········@questions.com
On Sat, 5 May 2001 21:01:01 +0200, Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de> wrote:

>Yes it is - AFAIK the whole IDE is written with CAPI.

Where is it?  From the main Lispworks directory, what is the path and
filename of CAPI?  As a Lisp beginner, what kind of action do I need to take
to load CAPI and make it available?
From: Wade Humeniuk
You are probably missing that capi is a CL package.  Try (in-package :capi)
and see what happens.  Otherwise you have to prepend symbols in the capi
package with capi:.

Wade
From: Kent M Pitman
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> You are probably missing that capi is a CL package.  Try (in-package :capi)
> and see what happens.  Otherwise you have to prepend symbols in the capi
> package with capi:.

If this is the problem, the other missing pieces of knowledge that must
also be in play are:

 * When you get an undefined function error in the debugger, if the
   only problem is that the symbol was in the wrong package, the debugger
   will, in many implementations, offer a restart that uses the definition
   from another package.  [This doesn't always help if the problem was a
   missing macro or a missing class-name.]

 * When you're wondering why a certain definition (not just variable or
   function but macro or class definition) and you suspect a package
   problem [and you should ALWAYS suspect a package problem if you have
   reason to believe the thing is there but aren't finding it), you can
   use FIND-ALL-SYMBOLS to find the symbol in all possible packages. e.g.,

e.g.,

   CL-USER 5 > (contain (make-instance 'push-button :text "Push me"))

   Error: PUSH-BUTTON is not the name of a class

   CL-USER 6 : > :a

   CL-USER 7 > (find-all-symbols "PUSH-BUTTON")
   (PUSH-BUTTON CAPI:PUSH-BUTTON)

   CL-USER 8 > (find-all-symbols "CONTAIN")
   (CONTAIN CAPI:CONTAIN)

   CL-USER 9 > (apropos "PUSH-BUTTON")

   PUSH-BUTTON
   LISPWORKS-TOOLS::PUSH-BUTTON-LIST
   CAPI::PUSH-BUTTON-PANEL-COLUMN
   CAPI:PUSH-BUTTON
   CAPI:PUSH-BUTTON-PANEL
From: Jochen Schmidt
··········@questions.com wrote:

> On Sat, 5 May 2001 21:01:01 +0200, Jochen Schmidt <···@dataheaven.de>
> wrote:
>
>>Yes it is - AFAIK the whole IDE is written with CAPI.
>
> Where is it?  From the main Lispworks directory, what is the path and
> filename of CAPI?  As a Lisp beginner, what kind of action do I need to
> take to load CAPI and make it available?

You don't have to load it at all - it's already there.

Try

From: ··········@questions.com
Is the source code of CAPI included with Lispworks?
How do I find it?  How do I browse it?  I know these
questions are probably too obvious to even be funny,
but I'm coming from a programming environment
where you simply click on the name of a function to
see its source code, and I haven't yet found any such
feature in any of the Lispworks manuals.  I probably
somehow overlooked it, or maybe it's too fundamental
and obvious to make it a separate section of the
manuals.
From: Friedrich Dominicus
··········@questions.com writes:

> Is the source code of CAPI included with Lispworks?
No.
> How do I find it?
Ask Xanalys.
How do I browse it?
describe
documentation
eg.
(documentation 'contain 'function)
"Make and display a container for a CAPI element which it then
returns. This routine is mainly useful for displaying CAPI objects
from a listener."
etc.

> where you simply click on the name of a function to
> see its source code, and I haven't yet found any such
> feature in any of the Lispworks manuals.

It there but it there are no souces available you won't see them.
In the IDE it's Expression->find source

> I probably
> somehow overlooked it, or maybe it's too fundamental
> and obvious to make it a separate section of the
> manuals.

you have overseen it simply I guess try
the common Lispworks user manual or the like.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Tim Bradshaw
··········@questions.com writes:

> Is the source code of CAPI included with Lispworks?

No.  I'm not sure why you expect it to be.

> How do I find it?  How do I browse it?  I know these
> questions are probably too obvious to even be funny,
> but I'm coming from a programming environment
> where you simply click on the name of a function to
> see its source code, and I haven't yet found any such
> feature in any of the Lispworks manuals.  I probably
> somehow overlooked it, or maybe it's too fundamental
> and obvious to make it a separate section of the
> manuals.

M-. in the editor finds sources.  You need to have compiled stuff such
that source locations are remembered (this is the default).  This is
pretty much a standard emacs keybinding - it's the same in Allegro's
eli interface, zmacs and think emacs + ilisp.  There is copious
documentation on how to do this and related things such as find
arglists and documentation in the LW manuals.

--tim