From: Sashank Varma
Subject: lisp discussion on slashdot
for those who don't know, slashdot is a (quite popular) discussion
forum on the web for things technical.  there's a discussion going
on there keyed off of paul graham's recent talk on using lisp to
beat the competition.  readers of this newsgroup may wish to
check out http://slashdot.org/.

sashank

From: Paul Rudin
Subject: Re: lisp discussion on slashdot

 Anton> Craig Brozefsky wrote:
 >> Why hide information you can share with the community at large?

 Anton> Why, for short-term personal gain, of course - in this case to
 Anton> the tune of $49 million (the reported ViaWeb acquisition
 Anton> price).

My recollection is that the payment was mostly Yahoo shares. They may
have had that kind of value at the time. Let's hope he had the sense
to sell them quickly :-)

--
bomb Cocaine Serbian Albanian Marxist South Africa Semtex quiche BATF
munitions Noriega counter-intelligence Rule Psix assassination
From: Mark Dalgarno
On Tue, 01 May 2001 21:24:13 -0700, Jock Cooper <·····@mail.com> wrote:

>A few point out (correctly, IMHO) that
>companies would probably have difficulty finding Lisp talent, thus the
>app written in lisp today might be unmaintainable tomorrow.

To provide a counter-example, we've been looking to recruit five developers
recently. So far we've managed to recruit three of the five people we were
looking for. All of those three came to us specifically because we could offer
them Lisp jobs. The remaining two people we're looking for are to be used
primarily as Java  and VC++ developers - we've found it very difficult to
compete against other local companies who are throwing money at very
inexperienced developers with these skills.

Mark
From: Terrence Monroe Brannon
Jock Cooper <·····@mail.com> writes:

 : I have recently started working with lisp doing things I used to use C
 : and perl for and I can attest to the amazing power of abstraction lisp
 : allows.  I am grateful for this newsgroup and the insights provided

I would like some concrete examples of its amazing power of abstraction that
can't be done in Perl.

I personally like the fact that precedence in lisp/scheme is easy
because of parenthesis.