From: Cyril N. Alberga
Subject: Semi-newbie questions: Free LISP for Windows, if LW how to port Allegro
I am a long (10 years) retired LISP programmer", running Windows.  I had
been using the free Franz Lisp Allegro CD, but it has "timed out", the
the hassle of re-downloading and re-regestering each month is
unacceptable.  I don't do a lot of LISP stuff, I just want an easy way
to compute things once in a while -- often not for months.

I found LispWorks ANSI Commonlisp, and downloaded it, but I am having
problems getting my Allegro code to run -- I retired before ANSI, and
actually worked mostly on the IBM LISPs on S360 and VM.  Hence, I've
converted the LISP/VM code to Allegro, and now even that doesn't seem to
work.

Can anyone suggest a FREE (I'm not working anymore) LISP for Windows
which is friendlier to Allegro, or can anyone point me to a document
consolidating the differences between the Steele Common Lisp and ANSI
Common Lisp.

Cyril N. Alberga

From: Friedrich Dominicus
"Cyril N. Alberga" <········@bellatlantic.net> writes:

> Can anyone suggest a FREE (I'm not working anymore) LISP for Windows
> which is friendlier to Allegro, or can anyone point me to a document
> consolidating the differences between the Steele Common Lisp and ANSI
> Common Lisp.

You have proabably the first Edition of Steeles book. There is second
edition available and maybe you should look at it. Even if you do not
use Lisp regularly it seems to make sense to update to "Standard
Common Lisp"

So long you may try your luck with
CLISP
or
CMUCL

On Windows you might look at Corman Lisp too.

Regards
Friedrich
From: Peter Van Eynde
Friedrich Dominicus <·····@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> "Cyril N. Alberga" <········@bellatlantic.net> writes:
>

> > Can anyone suggest a FREE (I'm not working anymore) LISP for Windows
> > which is friendlier to Allegro, or can anyone point me to a document
> > consolidating the differences between the Steele Common Lisp and ANSI
> > Common Lisp.
>
> You have proabably the first Edition of Steeles book. There is second
> edition available and maybe you should look at it. Even if you do not
> use Lisp regularly it seems to make sense to update to "Standard
> Common Lisp"

The second edition has 'change-bars' IIRC.

The HyperSpec (a html document generated from the ANSI standard, but
without the weight of being a standard) has a 'X3J13 Issue Index' that
has a list of the proposals going from Steele v1 to full ANSI.

Both may come in handy.

Groetjes, Peter

--
It's logic Jim, but not as we know it. | ········@debian.org
"God, root, what is difference?" - Pitr|
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Tue, 01 May 2001 00:11:38 GMT, "Cyril N. Alberga"
<········@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> which is friendlier to Allegro, or can anyone point me to a document
> consolidating the differences between the Steele Common Lisp and ANSI
> Common Lisp.

The book "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham includes a summary of the
differences.

Paolo