From: ··@spam.com
Subject: Emacs and LISP
Hello,

Ok, I've downloaded Emacs on my Win98 system.  In the scratch pad I type:

(defun test(x)(oddp x))

and then type (test 5) and nothing happens.  Why not?

How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?

Sincerely,
DJ

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ·····@newsone.net

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Emacs and LISP
In article <············@news.netmar.com>,  <··@spam.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Ok, I've downloaded Emacs on my Win98 system.  In the scratch pad I type:

FYI, comp.emacs and gnu.emacs.help are better newsgroups to use for Emacs
questions.

>(defun test(x)(oddp x))
>
>and then type (test 5) and nothing happens.  Why not?
>
>How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?

In the *scratch* buffer, C-j (Linefeed) is bound to eval-print-last-sexp.
So put your cursor after the ')' and type C-j.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Thomas F. Burdick
> >How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?
>
> In the *scratch* buffer, C-j (Linefeed) is bound to eval-print-last-sexp.
> So put your cursor after the ')' and type C-j.

You may also try M-x ielm, which will get you an elisp read-eval-print
loop, which can be a lot nicer (sometimes).
From: Rolf Marvin B�e Lindgren
[no]

| How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?

lots of ways, one of them is to place the cursor after the expression
and type C-x e.

--
Rolf Lindgren                                            http://www.roffe.com/
·····@tag.uio.no
From: Barry Margolin
In article <···············@aqualene.uio.no>,
Rolf Marvin B�e Lindgren <·····@aqualene.uio.no> wrote:
>[no]
>
>| How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?
>
>lots of ways, one of them is to place the cursor after the expression
>and type C-x e.

You mean C-x C-e; C-x e is for executing the last keyboard macro.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Oleg Goldshmidt
··@spam.com writes:

> (defun test(x)(oddp x))
>
> and then type (test 5) and nothing happens.  Why not?

Typing into *scratch* does not do anything by itself. You need to
evaluate the code. Here is one simple way: Put the cursor after the
lisp expression and type "C-x C-e" (bound to "eval-last-sexp"). Then
type "(test 5)" and type "C-x C-e" again to evaluate it. You'll see
"t" in the minibuffer.

Caveat emptor: I don't use XEmacs on Wondows, but I think it should
work the same way anywhere.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | ···········@NOSPAM.computer.org
"I'd rather write programs to write programs than write programs."
From: Paul B. Krause
What I like to do is . . .
1) put the buffer in "lisp interaction mode" by going M-x lisp-interaction-mode
2) after the buffer is in LIM, place the cursor at the end of the defun (the top
level
    parens) and type C-j.

That should do it.

··@spam.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Ok, I've downloaded Emacs on my Win98 system.  In the scratch pad I type:
>
> (defun test(x)(oddp x))
>
> and then type (test 5) and nothing happens.  Why not?
>
> How do I get Emacs to evaluate LISP?
>
> Sincerely,
> DJ

>   http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+ groups
>    NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email ·····@newsone.net

--
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it costs 1024
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·················@italian4springtime.com>,
Paul B. Krause <·······@primavera.com> wrote:
>What I like to do is . . .
>1) put the buffer in "lisp interaction mode" by going M-x lisp-interaction-mode

Isn't that the default mode for the *scratch* buffer?  He said "In the
scratch pad", which I presume refers to this buffer.

>2) after the buffer is in LIM, place the cursor at the end of the defun (the top
>level
>    parens) and type C-j.

Isn't that what I said a week ago?

But if you're doing this in a buffer that isn't already in LIM, the other
suggestions of using C-x C-e seem much more convenient than changing major
modes just for a single command.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA