From: David Bakhash
Subject: gripe: LispWorks and ilisp
I've now tried ilisp with just about every single Lisp, and it works
decently well, except for with LispWorks.

I'm on Linux, running the latest version of LispWorks Enterprise,
inside XEmacs.  I've built the latest ilisp (from the xemacs.org
website).  I built the console image of this LispWorks for use with
ilisp, since that GUI stuff is totally unnecessary.  Here's what I
get (note that trying to compile the init file didn't really help
either):

Thanks in advance,
dave

Starting lw41-console ...
LispWorks(R): The Common Lisp Programming Environment
Copyright (C) 1987-1999 Xanalys Incorporated.  All rights reserved.
Version 4.1.20
Saved by root as lw41-console, at 09 Mar 2001 3:58
User dave on cadet

CL-USER 1 >

CL-USER 2 > ;;; Loading /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/cl-ilisp.lisp
Warning: Syntactic warning for form (LET* ((AT-LOCATION (POSITION ··@ FILENAME)) (COLON-LOCATION (POSITION #\: FILENAME)) (FILENAME (IF (AND AT-LOCATION COLON-LOCATION) (SUBSEQ FILENAME (1+ COLON-LOCATION)) FILENAME)) (*PACKAGE* (ILISP-FIND-PACKAGE PACKAGE)) (COMPILER::*INPUT-PATHNAME* (MERGE-PATHNAMES FILENAME)) (COMPILER::*WARN-ON-NON-TOP-LEVEL-DEFUN* NIL)) FILENAME (EVAL (READ-FROM-STRING FORM))):
   COMPILER::*INPUT-PATHNAME* bound lexically.
Warning: Syntactic warning for form (LET* ((AT-LOCATION (POSITION ··@ FILENAME)) (COLON-LOCATION (POSITION #\: FILENAME)) (FILENAME (IF (AND AT-LOCATION COLON-LOCATION) (SUBSEQ FILENAME (1+ COLON-LOCATION)) FILENAME)) (*PACKAGE* (ILISP-FIND-PACKAGE PACKAGE)) (COMPILER::*INPUT-PATHNAME* (MERGE-PATHNAMES FILENAME)) (COMPILER::*WARN-ON-NON-TOP-LEVEL-DEFUN* NIL)) FILENAME (EVAL (READ-FROM-STRING FORM))):
   COMPILER::*WARN-ON-NON-TOP-LEVEL-DEFUN* bound lexically.
"ILISP: File is not compiled, use M-x ilisp-compile-inits"
CL-USER 7 > ;;; Loading /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/lispworks.lisp
Warning: Syntactic warning for form TOP-LOOP-HANDLER:
   TOP-LOOP-HANDLER assumed special.
Error: Undefined function TOP-LOOP-HANDLER called with arguments ().
  1 (continue) Try invoking TOP-LOOP-HANDLER again.
  2 Return some values from the call to TOP-LOOP-HANDLER.
  3 Try invoking something other than TOP-LOOP-HANDLER with the same arguments.
  4 Set the symbol-function of TOP-LOOP-HANDLER to another function.
  5 Try loading /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/lispworks.lisp again.
  6 Give up loading /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/lispworks.lisp.
  7 Try loading another file instead of /usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages/lisp/ilisp/lispworks.lisp.
  8 (abort) Return to level 0.
  9 Return to top loop level 0.

Type :b for backtrace, :c <option number> to proceed,  or :? for other options
ILISP 8 : 1 >

From: Will Deakin
Subject: Re: gripe: LispWorks and ilisp
David Bakhash wrote:

> I'm on Linux, running the latest version of LispWorks Enterprise,
> inside XEmacs.  I've built the latest ilisp (from the xemacs.org
> website).  I built the console image of this LispWorks for use with
> ilisp, since that GUI stuff is totally unnecessary.

The xemacs.org ilisp is ilisp-5.10.1 packaged for xemacs and so
will not have the latest cvs'd lispworks stuff in it. Although I
have linux I do not have access to LispWorks Enterprise, but I do
have the free download will have a look at this. And if there is
anything I can do to help I will do that.

I am happy to continue this discusion on c.l.l. However, I
suspect that the more appropriate forum may be
··········@lists.sourceforge.net or through email.

Best Regards,

Will Deakin
From: Peder O. Klingenberg
David Bakhash <·····@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I've now tried ilisp with just about every single Lisp, and it works
> decently well, except for with LispWorks.

I use Ilisp with Lispworks in GNU Emacs as my main development
environment.  The platform is Solaris, but I don't think that
matters.

I had the same problem as you when I downloaded the Ilisp version I
found on ilisp.cons.org.

After I sent a report and patch to ·····@cons.org, I was directed to
the sourceforge version of Ilisp, which had fixed this and other
problems long ago.

The URL is <http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp/>

...Peder...
--
We are unable to produce a witty comment at this time.
From: Will Deakin
I have cross posted this to the ilisp-devel list.

Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:

> After I sent a report and patch to ·····@cons.org, I was directed to
> the sourceforge version of Ilisp, which had fixed this and other
> problems long ago.
Sure. The problem is then that the xemacs package is the
`release' version -- ilisp-5.10.1 -- and not the current cvs
snapshot.

As it is clear there are problems with the current release. I
think it is time to update the xemacs package with the current
cvs snapshot -- and to keep this in step.

Any thoughts?

Will
From: Marco Antoniotti
Apologies for the delay.

I did put in a brief note in the ILISP download page, pointing to the
Sourceforge Project and its CVS snapshots.

This should at least give some temporary relief to people.

Again, I apologize for these mishaps.

Cheers

NYU Courant Bioinformatics Group	tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488
719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
New York, NY 10003, USA			http://bioinformatics.cat.nyu.edu
             Like DNA, such a language [Lisp] does not go out of style.
			      Paul Graham, ANSI Common Lisp
From: David Bakhash

 wd> I have cross posted this to the ilisp-devel list.
 wd> Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:

 >> After I sent a report and patch to ·····@cons.org, I was directed
 >> to the sourceforge version of Ilisp, which had fixed this and
 >> other problems long ago.
 wd> Sure. The problem is then that the xemacs package is the
 wd> `release' version -- ilisp-5.10.1 -- and not the current cvs
 wd> snapshot.

 wd> As it is clear there are problems with the current release. I
 wd> think it is time to update the xemacs package with the current
 wd> cvs snapshot -- and to keep this in step.

I've managed to bypass lots of problems by turning off that option in
ILisp that tries to print the arglist in the minibuffer when you press
spacebar after a function name.  That was definitely one of the major
culprits.  It works fine in CLISP, though.

dave
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:45:09 +0000, Will Deakin <········@pindar.com>
wrote:

> Sure. The problem is then that the xemacs package is the
> `release' version -- ilisp-5.10.1 -- and not the current cvs
> snapshot.

Just a quick reminder that daily snapshots of the ILISP CVS source tree are
available at:

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cvstarballs/ilisp-cvsroot.tar.gz

Paolo