From: Bruce Lester
Subject: Trying to decide on an Windows/Intel LISP system with CLOS
I am trying to decide which implementation of Windows/Intel LISP to
purchase.  I want to make use of CLOS (espically its multiple-inheritance
features)  but don't know how to evaluate vendor's comments about the level
of CLOS supported.

I would like to purchase a product that would allow me to distribute a
commercial application in the future if my idea is successful.  (I have
ruled out Franz due to the cost of the tool and distribution costs.)

A few years ago, I used MCL on a MAC and it supported all the CLOS features
that I needed.  Digitool does not appear to offer a version for
Windows/Intel.

I looked at Corman LISP's web site but don't know what features of CLOS are
included in Closette.

Also, are there commercial implementations of LISP that compile to a Java
Virtual Machine (generate Java bytecode)?

Thanks,
Bruce

From: Kent M Pitman
"Bruce Lester" <············@email.com> writes:

> I am trying to decide which implementation of Windows/Intel LISP to
> purchase.  I want to make use of CLOS (espically its multiple-inheritance
> features)  but don't know how to evaluate vendor's comments about the level
> of CLOS supported.

Both Xanalys and Franz offer CLOS in their evaluation copies.  Why not just
get a copy and see if you like it.

> I would like to purchase a product that would allow me to distribute a
> commercial application in the future if my idea is successful.  (I have
> ruled out Franz due to the cost of the tool and distribution costs.)

I think Xanalys has free runtimes for its Professional Edition.  As I recall,
only the Enterprise edition (which adds CORBA and SQL) costs to distribute
runtime.  If you need SQL, there is some freeware SQL support running around
you could maybe use instead.  If you need CORBA, I don't know a workaround.
Check with their web site and/or sales folks to be sure.

> A few years ago, I used MCL on a MAC and it supported all the CLOS features
> that I needed.  Digitool does not appear to offer a version for
> Windows/Intel.
>
> I looked at Corman LISP's web site but don't know what features of CLOS are
> included in Closette.

I can't comment on either of these.  Hopefully the vendors themselves will.

> Also, are there commercial implementations of LISP that compile to a Java
> Virtual Machine (generate Java bytecode)?

Well, there are various Java packages that address Lispy things (e.g., Kawa)
but I'm not sure about full CL.  I think Franz has some sort of option in
this area, but I don't know the details.  I don't know that Xanalys does.
From: Alain Picard

Kent> I think Xanalys has free runtimes for its Professional Edition.
Kent> As I recall, only the Enterprise edition (which adds CORBA and
Kent> SQL) costs to distribute runtime.  If you need SQL, there is
Kent> some freeware SQL support running around you could maybe use
Kent> instead.  If you need CORBA, I don't know a workaround.  Check
Kent> with their web site and/or sales folks to be sure.

A great workaround would be ILU, if only it was ported to Xanalys'
lisp.  I guess I'd prefer to see it ported to CMUCL first, but
anyway...

Is anybody out there working on either of these ports?

--
It would be difficult to construe        Larry Wall, in  article
this as a feature.			 <·····················@netlabs.com>
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:53:41 GMT, Kent M Pitman <······@world.std.com>
wrote:

> you could maybe use instead.  If you need CORBA, I don't know a workaround.

CLORB might be an option. I don't have a reference handy, but you should be
able to locate it by checking CLiki, which now provides search
capabilities:

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/

  [Bruce Lester <············@email.com>:]
> > Also, are there commercial implementations of LISP that compile to a Java
> > Virtual Machine (generate Java bytecode)?
>
> Well, there are various Java packages that address Lispy things (e.g., Kawa)
> but I'm not sure about full CL.  I think Franz has some sort of option in

While browsing the list of SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/) projects
returned by a query containing the "lisp" string, I run across something
similar. The description claimed that one of the goals was providing better
support for Common Lisp. I don't remember the project's name, but you
should be able to locate it.

Paolo