From: James Goodzeit
Subject: format string question
OK

I can print out a message in some fixed column, say 15, with

(format t "~15THello over there!")

But how would I print out a message in a variable column?

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: format string question
"James Goodzeit" <········@email.msn.com> writes:

> OK
>
> I can print out a message in some fixed column, say 15, with
>
> (format t "~15THello over there!")
>
> But how would I print out a message in a variable column?

If you use the letter 'v' in the prefix (instead of the number 15), it
will substitute the numeric value of the next argument.

(format t "~vTHello over there." 15)

From: Christian Nyb�
Joe Marshall <···@content-integrity.com> writes:

> If you use the letter 'v' in the prefix (instead of the number 15), it
> will substitute the numeric value of the next argument.
>
> (format t "~vTHello over there." 15)

Care to share a relative URL to the appropriate page in the hyperspec
that documents this 'v'-thing?
--
chr
From: Joe Marshall
···@nybo.no (Christian Nyb�) writes:

> Joe Marshall <···@content-integrity.com> writes:
>
> > If you use the letter 'v' in the prefix (instead of the number 15), it
> > will substitute the numeric value of the next argument.
> >
> > (format t "~vTHello over there." 15)
>
> Care to share a relative URL to the appropriate page in the hyperspec
> that documents this 'v'-thing?

I got this from the documentation that came with my Franz AllegroCL.

Chapter 22, Printer,
section 22.3, Formatted Output

It's paragraph 9.

I don't know whether the Franz docs are an identical copy of the
hyperspec or whether they modified them.

From: Christopher J. Vogt
"Christian Nyb�" wrote:

> Joe Marshall <···@content-integrity.com> writes:
>
> > If you use the letter 'v' in the prefix (instead of the number 15), it
> > will substitute the numeric value of the next argument.
> >
> > (format t "~vTHello over there." 15)
>
> Care to share a relative URL to the appropriate page in the hyperspec
> that documents this 'v'-thing?
> --
> chr
see sec_22-3.html in the paragraph just before the examples
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
"Joe Marshall" <···@content-integrity.com> wrote in message
·················@content-integrity.com...

> If you use the letter 'v' in the prefix (instead of the number 15), it
> will substitute the numeric value of the next argument.
>
> (format t "~vTHello over there." 15)

Could someone post an example of using # in the format string?
I'm unclear on how it would be used. I was thinking, if I'm
reading the HS correctly, perhaps a comma delimited list with
an `and' or `,and' or nothing depending on list size? Would this
be a correct use?

Geoff
From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
"Geoffrey Summerhayes" <·············@hNoOtSmPAaMil.com> wrote in message

> Could someone post an example of using # in the format string?
> I'm unclear on how it would be used. I was thinking, if I'm
> reading the HS correctly, perhaps a comma delimited list with
> an `and' or `,and' or nothing depending on list size? Would this
> be a correct use?

Whoops, forget this post. Found an example in 22.3.7.2

Geoff