From: Hector Munoz
Subject: Computer Chess Programs
Hello,

There are some who might argue  that a computer chess program  is not a
demonstration of intelligence  in particular, a program which uses Shannon's
Type A  Approach. I need to present a solid argument that such a program
does involve intelligence.

Would anyone has some good solid arguments on this topic?

I will appreciate in advance your time and for sharing your knowledge.

Thanks,
H�ctor Mu�oz

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: Computer Chess Programs
"Hector Munoz" <···········@home.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> There are some who might argue  that a computer chess program  is not a
> demonstration of intelligence  in particular, a program which uses Shannon's
> Type A  Approach. I need to present a solid argument that such a program
> does involve intelligence.
>
> Would anyone has some good solid arguments on this topic?

Most arguments around this topic degenerate rather quickly into
questions of what constitutes intelligence (with someone eventually
saying `I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.')  Those who
argue that a computer chess program is not a demonstration of
intelligence will no doubt agree that it *is* a demonstration of
*something*, but whatever that *something* is, it is *not*
intelligence.

So I would start with a defensible position on the definition of
intelligence before proceeding with the argument that a computer chess
programs satisfies that definiton.

From: Tord Kallqvist Romstad
"Hector Munoz" <···········@home.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> There are some who might argue  that a computer chess program  is not a
> demonstration of intelligence  in particular, a program which uses Shannon's
> Type A  Approach. I need to present a solid argument that such a program
> does involve intelligence.

This newsgroup is probably not the best place to ask this question.
You will probably recieve more answers in rec.games.chess.computer.
Even better would be to post your question at the Computer Chess Club
message board, where many of the best professional chess programmers
hang out.  The url is www.icdchess.com, but you have to register
before posting.

> Would anyone has some good solid arguments on this topic?

Being an amateur chess programmer myself, I wouldn't describe the
current generation of computer chess programs as "intelligent" in any
sense of the word.  We are all basically doing a fast brute force
alpha-beta search with a few crude selective enhancements thrown in to
increase the search depth in important lines.  Some programs have much
more sophisticated leaf-node evaluators than others, but no program
comes close to qualify as intelligent, IMHO.

By the way, the programs with very sophisticated leaf-node evaluators
are not necessarily best.  Some of the very best commercial programs
(Fritz and Nimzo are good examples) have very primitive evaluation
functions, but compensate by calculating extremly rapidly.

--
Tord Romstad