From: Tim Lavoie
Subject: Preferred freebie CMUCL GUI?
Hello,

I'm a Lisp newbie, mostly tinkering with CMUCL on my Debian Linux boxen. I
would like to do some simple stuff with a GUI, but do not have a specific
tool in mind. Since I'm pretty much equally ignorant about all of them,
which would be a good first? I've found a few, but some of the docs seem to
indicate stuff that hasn't been touched in years; is it just that stable, or
abandoned?

Since it's just for my own interest, simplicity would be good to get up to
speed sooner, and performance isn't really an issue; we're not talking about
some CL-Quake or anything. Just some graphic doodling, so a couple buttons
and a drawing area should pretty much do it.

 So far, there are:

   CLX, CLUE, CLIO, CLM (Motif), a couple GTK+ versions, lisp-TK, Garnet

 I haven't done any low-level X outside of Lisp, so I don't think I want to
confuse learning both together. Anyway, suggestions of what people are using
recently are appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Tim

From: Robert STRANDH
Subject: Re: Preferred freebie CMUCL GUI?
········@spamcop.net (Tim Lavoie) writes:

> Since it's just for my own interest, simplicity would be good to get up to
> speed sooner, and performance isn't really an issue; we're not talking about
> some CL-Quake or anything. Just some graphic doodling, so a couple buttons
> and a drawing area should pretty much do it.
>

>  So far, there are:
>
>    CLX, CLUE, CLIO, CLM (Motif), a couple GTK+ versions, lisp-TK, Garnet

You should add CLIM to your list.  Our free version of CLIM (called
McCLIM) is sufficient for "a couple buttons and a drawing area" at
this time.  You can get it at:

	http://www.mikemac.com/mikemac/McCLIM/index.html

--
Robert Strandh

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: any sufficiently complicated C
From: Vladimir V. Zolotych

Try http://sourceforge.net/projects/clg.

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         ······@eurocom.od.ua
From: Tim Lavoie
CLIM and CLG? OK, I'll check them out.

  Thanks!

  Tim

--
Testing can show the presense of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Dijkstra
From: Paolo Amoroso
On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:00:53 GMT, ········@spamcop.net (Tim Lavoie) wrote:

>  So far, there are:
>
>    CLX, CLUE, CLIO, CLM (Motif), a couple GTK+ versions, lisp-TK, Garnet

Check the SLIK page in the "Graphics Toolkit" section of CLiki:

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/

Paolo
From: Tim Lavoie
In article <····························@4ax.com>, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Mar 2001 05:00:53 GMT, ········@spamcop.net (Tim Lavoie) wrote:
>
>>  So far, there are:
>>
>>    CLX, CLUE, CLIO, CLM (Motif), a couple GTK+ versions, lisp-TK, Garnet
>
>Check the SLIK page in the "Graphics Toolkit" section of CLiki:
>
>  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/

OK, thanks.

--
C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes that
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.