From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: ANN: ODBC Module for UncommonSQL
As many of you may know, there is the free CommonSQL "Clone" UncommonSQL.
It allows CMUCL to access MySQL, Postgresql and ORACLE databases..
The newest version includes support for LispWorks - that means that it is
possible to access at least Postgresql databases with LispWorks.

You may know SQL-ODBC by Paul Meurer, which is too a CommonSQL similar
database binding, that runs on MCL, ACL and LispWorks. As the name says
SQL-ODBC uses the ODBC libraries for database-access and supports therefore
a lot of different databases.

Why merging the two?
There are several reasons:

- LispWorks CommonSQL for Linux only supports ORACLE
- LispWorks CommonSQL is an "Enterprise Edition" tool that will cost
runtime licences. (But is certainly far more mature, stable and efficient
than the alternatives!!!)
- SQL-ODBC is free and runs on Linux but lacks the objectoriented interface
of CommonSQL.
- UncommonSQL provides an objectoriented interface but runs only on CMUCL
and LispWorks with few Databases (ORACLE, Postgresql, MySQL)

What is done so far...
I've started a new UncommonSQL database-module by using SQL-ODBC for the
lowlevel database-access stuff under the highlevel-Interface of UncommonSQL.

It is not very mature (2-3 hours of coding today) but the functional and
the objectoriented interface seems to work. There is some work tto do for
metadata (e. g. list-tables...)
and probably transactions or some other features SQL-ODBC offers.

It may be possible with this module to run UncommonSQL with MCL or ACL but
it is not tested.

If there is someone that would find this whole thing useful you can mail me.
Probably I willl send it it OnShore is they want to include it with the
"official" release.

This may lead to an standardised highlevel-database binding API that runs
on nearly all major Common Lisps and is freely available.

Regards,
Jochen