From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
Subject: LispWorks CAPI bug?
My apologies if this is too Xanalys specific for this newsgroup.

I have a problem working with the current Personal Edition of Xanalys
LispWorks: I'm following the examples in the CAPI Users Guide. In Section
"3.2.2 Specifying titles directly", it says

     2. Now evaluate the following:
          (setf (titled-pane-title button) "Press here: ")
     As soon as the form is evaluated, the title of the pane you
     just created changes. Notice how the window automatically
     resizes to make allowance for the size of the new title.

When I do this, the title pane indeed changes. However, the window does NOT
resize. The button is cut to about half of its size instead.

I'm working with Windows 2000 Professional (SP2, German version).

Does anybody else have the same problems? Is this a known bug perhaps?

Thanks in advance,
Edi Weitz.

--
Dr. Edmund Weitz
Hamburg

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: LispWorks CAPI bug?
> Does anybody else have the same problems? Is this a known bug perhaps?

It works on my machine, LWW 4.1.20, Windows 98.

Did you use the exact code in the manual?  If not could you post it?

Wade
From: Dr. Edmund Weitz
I used the exact code from the manual. Here's what I typed (or pasted) into
the listener:

  (defpackage "MY-PACKAGE"
    (:add-use-defaults t)
    (:use "CAPI"))

  (in-package "MY-PACKAGE")

  (defun test-callback (data interface)
    (display-message "Data ~S in interface ~S"
                               data interface))

  (defun hello (data interface)
    (declare (ignore data interface))
    (display-message "Hello World"))

  (setq button (make-instance 'push-button
                                             :text "Hello"
                                             :title "Press: "
                                             :title-position :left
                                             :callback 'hello))

  (contain button)

  (setf (titled-pane-title button) "Press here: ")

As I said: The title IS changed, but the window doesn't resize and the
button is cut in the middle.

I also use 4.1.20, but on Windows 2000.

Thanks,
Edi.

"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> wrote in
·················@news3.cadvision.com...

From: Kent M Pitman
"Dr. Edmund Weitz" <···@agharta.de> writes:

> I also use 4.1.20, but on Windows 2000.

This works right for me under

 LWW Personal   4.1.0  on Windows 98
 LWW Enterprise 4.1.20 on Windows 98
 LWW Personal   4.1.0  on Windows 2000
 LWW Enterprise 4.1.20 on Windows 2000

and it works fine in all of those settings.

I also tried changing to bigger and smaller strings and it resizes
correctly.

That doesn't mean I don't believe you.  Maybe it's a problem with
your German fonts.  But whatever it is, it's more subtle than you
think. I suggest you take it up with Xanalys support, though.

This really isn't the place to report bugs in implementations.
This is the place to raise bugs of general interest to multiple
platforms (... or sometimes to ask questions of the community if a
vendor tells you something is supposed to work a certain way
and you don't agree).
From: Lieven Marchand
"Dr. Edmund Weitz" <···@agharta.de> writes:

> I'm working with Windows 2000 Professional (SP2, German version).
>
> Does anybody else have the same problems? Is this a known bug perhaps?

Works for me LW 4.1.20/Linux

--
Lieven Marchand <···@wyrd.be>
You can drag any rat out of the sewer and teach it to get some work done in
From: Martin Thornquist
[ Dr. Edmund Weitz ]

> When I do this, the title pane indeed changes. However, the window does NOT
> resize. The button is cut to about half of its size instead.

There was a problem with layouts not resizing along with their
children panes, but this should be fixed in patch bundle 20; it is in
the instances I've seen.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
                                                 -Paul Graham, On Lisp