From: Vladimir V. Zolotych
Subject: National chars & LispWorks
Hello

Help me please how to arrange things
for LispWorks Personal Edition 4.1.20 to deal
properly with national characters (Cyrillic ,KOI8-R) in
Listener's window ?

The similar problem with displaying
KOI8-R chars for _some_ CAPI elements, e.g
EDITOR-PANE element. No problem with
buttons, title-panes, window titles.

Using LispWorks, Linux (Slackware 7.0).

Let me describe the problem in detail.
For example. In the ACL trial for Win95/98 national
characters (Cyrillic Windows-1251 in that case) fully
supported. E.g. are readable/writeable in the listener
window and in all other places.

In the LispWorks Personal when I type national
characters I see instead of them strange glyphs.

The following
  (with-open-file (s "foo" :direction :output)
    (print "������!" s))
            ^^^^^^ <--- KOI8-R chars
writes right char-codes in the file, but displays 'em
as a strange glyphs.

Thanks.

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         ······@eurocom.od.ua
From: Pekka P. Pirinen
Subject: Re: National chars & LispWorks
"Vladimir V. Zolotych" <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:
> The similar problem with displaying KOI8-R chars for _some_ CAPI
> elements, e.g EDITOR-PANE element. No problem with buttons,
> title-panes, window titles.
>
> [...] writes right char-codes in the file, but displays 'em
> as a strange glyphs.

That sounds like a font problem.  LW doesn't come in localized
versions, so if "Courier New" doesn't have the right glyphs, you need
to tell it the right font.  LW Knowledgebase ID# 10024 explains about
changing editor fonts.  You need something like:

(gp:define-font-alias :editor-pane-default-font
   (gp:make-font-description :family "???" :size 12 :charset :russian))
--
Pekka P. Pirinen
Global Graphics Software (incorporating Harlequin and Jaws Systems)