From: Howard Stearns
Subject: forget about Lispm software on Alpha?
A friend of mine wrote:

> Subject: Compaq sells Alpha to Intel
>
> I'm listening to the webcast right now - Compaq, by 2004, will consolidate
> all their servers on IA-64 technology, and is selling the Alpha technology,
> tools, etc. to Intel.
>
> Another nice piece of technology, far, far superior to IA-64 (which is a
> poorly-designed pig), bites the dust.
>
> I predict an exodus to Sun hardware from current Alpha users who won't touch
> Itanium with a 10' ethernet cable.

I wonder if that means the end of any chance to make a go of Open Genera
and eventually get it to other platforms.

From: Frank Goenninger
Subject: Re: forget about Lispm software on Alpha?
"Howard Stearns" <·······@curl.com> wrote in message
·····················@curl.com...
> A friend of mine wrote:
> >
> > Subject: Compaq sells Alpha to Intel

[some stuff deleted}

> > Another nice piece of technology, far, far superior to IA-64 (which is a
> > poorly-designed pig), bites the dust.

Why is the IA-64 a "poorly-designed pig" ?
Sorry - couldn't resist ;-)

frgo
From: Howard Stearns
I guess I was irresponsibly perpetuating opinions that I (and the
original author) was not prepared to elaborate on.  I shouldn't do
that.  Sorry.

[By the way, Microsoft sucks, too.]

"Opinions and misdemeanors are definitely not those of my employer,
etc."

From: Jochen Schmidt
"Frank Goenninger wrote:

> "Howard Stearns" <·······@curl.com> wrote in message
> ·····················@curl.com...
>> A friend of mine wrote:
>> >
>> > Subject: Compaq sells Alpha to Intel
>> >
> [some stuff deleted}
>> >
>> > Another nice piece of technology, far, far superior to IA-64 (which is
>> > a poorly-designed pig), bites the dust.
>
> Why is the IA-64 a "poorly-designed pig" ?
> Sorry - couldn't resist ;-)

I think seen as a _pig_ it is really poorly designed... ;-)

ciao,
Jochen
From: Kaelin Colclasure
"Frank Goenninger <http://www.goenninger.com>" <················@hp.com> writes:

> "Howard Stearns" <·······@curl.com> wrote in message
> ·····················@curl.com...
> > A friend of mine wrote:
> > >
> > > Subject: Compaq sells Alpha to Intel
> > >
> [some stuff deleted}
> > >
> > > Another nice piece of technology, far, far superior to IA-64 (which is a
> > > poorly-designed pig), bites the dust.
>
> Why is the IA-64 a "poorly-designed pig" ?
> Sorry - couldn't resist ;-)

There's an extended series of threads on this topic over in comp.arch
for anyone who is really interested. The first generation IA-64 has
been dubbed ``Itanic'' by its detractors. I had a good laugh when I
first saw Intel's billboard ad's here in the Bay Area contrasting a
jet ski with a passenger liner (microprocessing vs. macroprocessing).
My guess is Intel's PR folks hadn't heard the moniker... :-)

-- Kaelin