From: Paul Meurer
Subject: sql-odbc 0.9 released
I have finally put together a new version of sql-odbc. sql-odbc 0.9
can be downloaded by anonymous ftp from
ftp://amirani.hit.uib.no/sql-odbc/.
I also intend to put it into CLOCC in the near future (if the
maintainers agree).

What's new in this version?

1. CMUCL support for ODBC (except streams).

2. Initial support for OCI (Oracle Call Interface). No streams and no
long datatypes; still problems with threads.
   The code runs stably in Allegro6.0/Linux; the Lispworks version has
a tendency to crash.
   No support yet for other Lisps. The next likely candidat for a port
is CMUCL.

3. mk-defsystem support (all other load mechanisms are removed!)
   You have to define a logical host named sql pointing to your
installation directory prior to loading the system.
   For MCL, you have to patch defsystem.lisp by commenting out the
following lines in APPEND-DIRECTORIES:

      ((namestring-probably-logical absolute-directory)
       ;; A simplistic stab at handling logical pathnames
       (append-logical-pnames absolute-directory relative-directory))

Changes:

There are tws important changes which might (and probably will) break
existing code.

1. I have removed the :database keyword in most functions; instead,
you should rebind *DEFAULT-DATABASE* when needed, preferably by using
the macro WITH-DATABASE. This makes it easier to dispatch on database
class in sql expression syntax.

2. The macro WITH-TRANSACTION now has a different syntax:

(defmacro with-transaction ((&optional (database '*default-database*))
&body body) ...)

Thus it is now possible to specify the connection scope of
transactions.

Other changes:

- Better control over time/date format. As default,
time/date/timestamp data is returned as CommonLisp universal time; you
may bind *TIME-CONVERSION-FUNCTION* to a function taking the universal
time fixnum and an optional fractional second as arguments. (Thanks to
Liam Healy!)

- New file sql:odbc;local.lisp containing the location of the odbc
libraries: Adapt that file to your needs. (Thanks to Liam Healy for
the suggestion)

- New directory structure.

- Many bug fixes.

Paul Meurer

Paul Meurer at HIT UiB no
Humanities Information Technologies Centre,
University of Bergen
All�gaten 27, 5007 Bergen
Norway