From: isaac councill
Subject: CMUCL on Solaris
Hello,

I am unfamiliar with the relationship between Sun OS and Solaris (I have
heard that Solaris is an extension of Sun OS rather than something
completely different).  This being the case, I am not clear on what is the
highest Solaris version that cmucl runs on from reading the cons.org site.
Will cmucl work with Solaris 2 and no higher or will it run on, for example,
Solaris 7 or 8?

Thanks,
Isaac

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: CMUCL on Solaris
"isaac councill" <····@psu.edu> writes:

> I am unfamiliar with the relationship between Sun OS and Solaris (I have
> heard that Solaris is an extension of Sun OS rather than something
> completely different).  This being the case, I am not clear on what is the
> highest Solaris version that cmucl runs on from reading the cons.org site.
> Will cmucl work with Solaris 2 and no higher or will it run on, for example,
> Solaris 7 or 8?

There's a whole horror of numbering.  Once upon a time there was
SunOS, which had versions 1, 2, 3 and 4, with various minor
versions. 4.1.x was the last 4 version (4.1.4 I think).

Then Sun changed the system in a lot of major ways (loosely, they
moved from a BSD-based system to a SysV-based system, but it's more
complex than that).  This was SunOS 5.  At the same time they decided
to call the whole environment (not just the OS), Solaris, with major
number 2.  Retrospectively, the SunOS 4 environment was names Solaris
1.

The minor version number of Solaris tracked the minor version of
SunOS.  Recent(ish) versions have been (SunOS / Solaris) 5.4 / 2.4,
5.5 / 2.5, 5.5.1 / 2.5.1, 5.6 / 2.6.

After 5.6 / 2.6 they made some kind of decision that there would never
be a SunOS 6 (Solaris 3?), so they dropped the leading digit, and
Solaris 2.7 became Solaris 7.  Because lots of things assume a 5.x /
2.x name they didn't actually change the name that things like uname
report.  I don't know, in fact, whether SunOS now is officially SunOS
7 or SunOS 5.7 (I think it may be 5.7).

So now, the thing that would have been 5.7 / 2.7 is (5.)7 / 7, and
currently (5.)8 / 8, and next (5.)9 / 9.  (The (x.) means I don't know
what the real story is.)

I devoutly hope that they will now leave their numbering scheme alone.

So in answer to the question: I have run CMUCL on Solaris 7 / SunOS
5.7.  I am almost certain it will run on Solaris 8 too.

--tim
From: Will Deakin
Tim wrote:

> I don't know, in fact, whether SunOS now is officially SunOS 7

> or SunOS 5.7 (I think it may be 5.7).
It is, and Solaris 8 is SunOS 5.8

 > So in answer to the question: I have run CMUCL on Solaris 7 / SunOS
> 5.7.  I am almost certain it will run on Solaris 8 too.
Yes it will.

:)will
From: Andreas Gustafsson
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> writes:

> After 5.6 / 2.6 they made some kind of decision that there would never
> be a SunOS 6 (Solaris 3?), so they dropped the leading digit, and
> Solaris 2.7 became Solaris 7.  Because lots of things assume a 5.x /
> 2.x name they didn't actually change the name that things like uname
> report.  I don't know, in fact, whether SunOS now is officially SunOS
> 7 or SunOS 5.7 (I think it may be 5.7).
>
> So now, the thing that would have been 5.7 / 2.7 is (5.)7 / 7, and
> currently (5.)8 / 8, and next (5.)9 / 9.  (The (x.) means I don't know
> what the real story is.)

SunOS is officially 5.x and Solaris is now 7,8,9 etc.
What happens after Solaris 9 with SunOS is not known.
I for one hope that it's just SunOS6 but I guess that
would be too simple. I work for Sun and hate it when
I have to explain to my customers that somebody
though it a good idea to change the numbering...

/andreas
From: Tim Bradshaw
Andreas Gustafsson <····@iltempogigante.update.uu.se> writes:

> SunOS is officially 5.x and Solaris is now 7,8,9 etc.
> What happens after Solaris 9 with SunOS is not known.
> I for one hope that it's just SunOS6 but I guess that
> would be too simple. I work for Sun and hate it when
> I have to explain to my customers that somebody
> though it a good idea to change the numbering...

Surely it's 5.10?  (like emacs 19.18 or something).  These aren't
decimal numbers.

--tim
From: Andreas Gustafsson
Tim Bradshaw <···@tfeb.org> writes:

> Andreas Gustafsson <····@iltempogigante.update.uu.se> writes:
>
> > SunOS is officially 5.x and Solaris is now 7,8,9 etc.
> > What happens after Solaris 9 with SunOS is not known.
> > I for one hope that it's just SunOS6 but I guess that
> > would be too simple. I work for Sun and hate it when
> > I have to explain to my customers that somebody
> > though it a good idea to change the numbering...
> >

> Surely it's 5.10?  (like emacs 19.18 or something).  These aren't
> decimal numbers.

Yeah, even though I haven't actually heard anything, I guess
it's going to be 5.10 most likely. I was just a little annoyed
when I wrote that having to explain the Solaris <-> SunOS
thingie just because some guy thought post naming Solaris1
was a good idea... (I have done this a few times. :)

Probably the future is 5.10, yes.

/Andreas
From: Eric Marsden

  ic> I am unfamiliar with the relationship between Sun OS and Solaris
  ic> (I have heard that Solaris is an extension of Sun OS rather than
  ic> something completely different). This being the case, I am not
  ic> clear on what is the highest Solaris version that cmucl runs on
  ic> from reading the cons.org site. Will cmucl work with Solaris 2
  ic> and no higher or will it run on, for example, Solaris 7 or 8?

The CMUCL 18c binaries should work on SunOS 2.5, 2.7 and 2.8, ie on
any Sun sold in the last 6 years or so. There is a further
complication: if you have an UltraSPARC ("uname -m" should say
"sun4u") you can use the binaries which include "v9" in the name of
the tarball; these binaries use instructions which only exist on
UltraSPARC. If you have an older machine (sun4m, such as a
SparcStation 20 or even more ancient) you will need to download the
non-v9 binaries.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>