From: Marcin Tustin
Subject: Native compiler for linux?
Would I be right in thinking that CMUCL will
compile CLISP to a native executable? Also,
which other compilers will do this?
(I know, I should probably look on the web for
this stuff, but, you know, I can't resist
being lazy and asking an NG).
Cheers.

From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: Re: Native compiler for linux?
Marcin Tustin wrote:

> Would I be right in thinking that CMUCL will
> compile CLISP to a native executable? Also,
> which other compilers will do this?
> (I know, I should probably look on the web for
> this stuff, but, you know, I can't resist
> being lazy and asking an NG).

CMUCL compiles Common Lisp to native code but does _not_
create standalone executables. You will have to deliver
the CMUCL runtime with your application.

AFAIK only the commercial Common Lisp Systems are
able to create standalone executables (or DLLs).
Probably the new opensourced CL-System OpenMCL
does provide delivering standalone Applications (at least for Linux PPC)

ciao,
Jochen
From: Evan Prodromou

    >> Would I be right in thinking that CMUCL will compile CLISP to a
    >> native executable? Also, which other compilers will do this?
    >> (I know, I should probably look on the web for this stuff, but,
    >> you know, I can't resist being lazy and asking an NG).

    JS> CMUCL compiles Common Lisp to native code but does _not_
    JS> create standalone executables. You will have to deliver the
    JS> CMUCL runtime with your application.

You can tweak GCL to build native standalone executables with a bit of
glue.

        http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
····@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
From: Per Bothner
The latest Kawa snapshots (version 1.6.92) can compile to a native
executable by using GCJ (http://gcc.gnu.org/java/), which is part of
the just-releated GCC-3.0.  Kawa compiles to Java bytecodes, which
then GCJ compiles to native code.  The executable can be a stand-alone
staticly-linked executable, or (the default) linked against a shared
library containing the Kawa runtime.

In 1.6.92 only Scheme can be built using GCJ, but in 1.6.94 you should
also be able to use GCJ for Kawa's CommonLisp implementation.  Alas,
Kawa's CommonLisp support is too minimal to do anything with, but I am
gradually improving the situation.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/ on Kawa in general and
http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/kawa_7.html#SEC21 (this URL
may change!) specifically about compiling to native code.
--
	--Per Bothner
···@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/per/