From: Jason Chesshir
Subject: Re: Choice LISP editor - XEmacs
I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking what editor everyone
preferred for coding LISP.  At the time I was gritting my teeth and
working with GNU Emacs 20.7.1.  Then, I tried vi.  Without the Lisp
Interaction mode (and being relatively new to LISP) I felt that vi was a
lot work to use.  So, I tried a different Emacs than the GNU 20.7.1 I'd
been using...  I found XEmacs 21.1 and I like it a lot more.  To me, it
was a much nicer environment.  The glyphs are dopey, but I like the
interface.  Thanks for all the feedback!  There was a lot of discussion,
and it made me pay attention to things I wouldn't have known had I not
asked.

~)ason

From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <·················@kioken.com>,
Jason Chesshir  <·····@kioken.com> wrote:
>I posted here a couple of weeks ago asking what editor everyone
>preferred for coding LISP.  At the time I was gritting my teeth and
>working with GNU Emacs 20.7.1.  Then, I tried vi.  Without the Lisp
>Interaction mode (and being relatively new to LISP) I felt that vi was a
>lot work to use.  So, I tried a different Emacs than the GNU 20.7.1 I'd
>been using...  I found XEmacs 21.1 and I like it a lot more.  To me, it
>was a much nicer environment.  The glyphs are dopey, but I like the
>interface.  Thanks for all the feedback!  There was a lot of discussion,
>and it made me pay attention to things I wouldn't have known had I not
>asked.

Could you please tell what you found were the
differences between Gnu and XEmacs for the purpose of
Lisp programming?  I really wouldn't have guessed
that these two Emacses would differ on a niche this
narrow.

--d
From: Jason Chesshir
Well, I compared Emacs (in the context of LISP programming) to vi.  In
comparison to vi, for LISP, I like Emacs better.

It wasn't the LISP programming environment that I liked better about XEmacs,
per se.  The [M-x  ielm] environment is basically the same.

Being new to LISP && emacs, however, I found XEmacs a little more
comfortable.  The simple (I'm almost afraid to admit) reason was that it had
some elementary LISP commands up front on the menu bar such as:

>Lisp-Interaction
        > Evaluate Last S-expression
        > Evaluate Entire Buffer
        > Evaluate This Defun

The fact that I was able to work in one buffer and evaluate code fragments
without leaving the environment was nice.  It just seemed easier than using
the 'rep-like' interface of [M-x ielm].   I am sure there is a simple way to
do this in GNU Emacs, but XEmacs had it up front and out in the open.  As a
new XEmacs user, it made my life just a little bit easier.

~)ason

------

From: Dorai Sitaram
In article <·················@kioken.com>,
Jason Chesshir  <·····@kioken.com> wrote:
>Well, I compared Emacs (in the context of LISP programming) to vi.  In
>comparison to vi, for LISP, I like Emacs better.
>
>It wasn't the LISP programming environment that I liked better about XEmacs,
>per se.  The [M-x  ielm] environment is basically the same.
>
>Being new to LISP && emacs, however, I found XEmacs a little more
>comfortable.  The simple (I'm almost afraid to admit) reason was that it had
>some elementary LISP commands up front on the menu bar such as:
>
>>Lisp-Interaction
>        > Evaluate Last S-expression
>        > Evaluate Entire Buffer
>        > Evaluate This Defun

Actually, I think this is a very good reason (well, I'd
admit it).  I do think a good menu bar is an ideal
add-on for Emacs in a way that it wouldn't be for vi.
The Emacs command (as opposed to extension)
language is long on vocabulary and short on grammar, so
one has to memorize a lot of the former and cannot rely
on the latter to generate combinations as in vi.  (For
example, xp is really x followed by p in vi, whereas
the equivalent Emacs C-t is atomic.)

Menus probably bring grammar back into the
picture a bit, and I should think that would alleviate
the burden on memory a lot.

--d
From: Joel Ray Holveck
> Being new to LISP && emacs, however, I found XEmacs a little more
> comfortable.  The simple (I'm almost afraid to admit) reason was that it had
> some elementary LISP commands up front on the menu bar such as:

Okay.  So, for lisp-interaction-mode, what menubar commands do you
find useful?  It'll be trivial to write in a menu and submit it as a
bug to GNU Emacs.

joelh