From: glauber
Subject: JESS (Java Expert System Shell)
I just came across this:
http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/

It's an expert system shell written in Java which implements a Lisp-like language.

Is there anybody listening here who's used it and would care to share your thoughts?

Thanks,

glauber

From: glauber
Subject: Re: JESS (Java Expert System Shell)
··········@my-deja.com (glauber) wrote in message news:<···························@posting.google.com>...
> I just came across this:
> http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
>
> It's an expert system shell written in Java which implements
> a Lisp-like language.
>
> Is there anybody listening here who's used it and
> would care to share your thoughts?

I did some more research, and it still seems to be a pretty nice system.
Looks like a re-implementation of CLIPS (http://www.ghg.net/clips/CLIPS.html).

I'm still trying to decide if i need it or if i should implement a simple
rules-based system in Scheme and use Kawa instead, for the job
i have in mind. (I know, i wish there was an implementation of Common Lisp
in Java, but since there isn't, Scheme is the second best thing.)

From: Sashank Varma
In article <···························@posting.google.com>,
··········@my-deja.com (glauber) wrote:

>I'm still trying to decide if i need it or if i should implement a simple
>rules-based system in Scheme and use Kawa instead, for the job
>i have in mind.

since the job you have in mind *seems* to require the JVM, why not
use JESS for the rule-based part instead of implementing your own
homebrew language (and use Kawa/Scheme for the non-rule-based
remainder)?

sashank
From: glauber
·············@vanderbilt.edu (Sashank Varma) wrote in message news:<······························@129.59.212.53>...
> In article [...]
> since the job you have in mind *seems* to require the JVM, why not
> use JESS for the rule-based part instead of implementing your own
> homebrew language (and use Kawa/Scheme for the non-rule-based
> remainder)?

Well, that's what i was trying to find out, right?
After playing with it and talking with the author, it became clear
that this software costs more money than the project can pay right
now.
Still, it's a great piece of software, and i recommend it. It's not so
expensive if you're an startup company or government. Also, there's a
personal license (not for commercial use) that's very nicely priced.

From: Alex Shinn

    glauber> I did some more research, and it still seems to be a
    glauber> pretty nice system.  Looks like a re-implementation of
    glauber> CLIPS (http://www.ghg.net/clips/CLIPS.html).

I used it a few years ago for a web-based expert system.  It was a
very nice system then, and is improving all the time (I used 3.x, and
at quick glance it's up to 6.x).  It provides nice interaction with
Java as well as being a stand-alone language supporting just about
every programming paradigm.  Though it's a re-implementation of a high
level language in Java, the author has a good grasp of the inner
workings of Java and has optimized well - I believe in some of his
benchmarks JESS outperforms CLIPS.

    glauber> I'm still trying to decide if i need it or if i should
    glauber> implement a simple rules-based system in Scheme and use
    glauber> Kawa instead, for the job i have in mind. (I know, i wish
    glauber> there was an implementation of Common Lisp in Java, but
    glauber> since there isn't, Scheme is the second best thing.)

This would depend on whether you need more rules-based functionality
or more Lisp functionality.  Being described as "Lisp-like" in this
case means the syntax is like Lisp (parenthesis), and the list is a
fundamental data type over which you can map/apply/eval.  However, it
doesn't have lambda expressions or macros, which may or may not cramp
your style.

If you did choose to implement a simple rules-based system in Scheme, I
might be interested in helping out (doing too much at once already,
but I'd at least serve as a beta-tester :-).

--
Alex Shinn <····@debian.org>
Lisper, Smalltalker, and all around poor speaker
From: Tim Bradshaw
·······@hotmail.com writes:

> Why lisp _in_ Java? Why not Lisp _instead_ of Java?

can't use the J word then.

--tim
From: David E. Young
glauber wrote:

> I just came across this:
> http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
>
> It's an expert system shell written in Java which implements a Lisp-like language.
>
> Is there anybody listening here who's used it and would care to share your thoughts?

I've used JESS extensively over the past few years, and CLIPS before that (JESS has its
roots in CLIPS). JESS is a fine product, and well-supported by the author. For Java
developers, JESS has an elegant mechanism for extending the JESS programming language,
making user-written extensions appear as part of the core system. JESS is also quite
fast on the Java VMs I've tested, particularly IBM's Java 2 VM for Linux. Perhaps my
one "complaint", as it were, is the dichotomy between the JESS language and Java; the
boundary isn't seamless and there are translation issues when moving data between JESS
and Java. Clearly, this isn't a flaw in JESS per se; just a characteristic of using a
platform other than Lisp to implement an embedded language.

If you're interested in a Lisp implementation of an expert system shell influenced by
JESS, have a look at the LISA project (http://lisa.sourceforge.net).

Regards,

David E. Young
········@computer.org           (defun real-language? (lang)
http://lisa.sourceforge.net       (eq lang 'LISP))

"But all the world understands my language."
  -- Franz Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)
From: Paolo Amoroso
On 5 Jun 2001 15:20:13 -0700, ··········@my-deja.com (glauber) wrote:

> I just came across this:
> http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
>
> It's an expert system shell written in Java which implements a Lisp-like language.

You may check LISA, which does the same in Lisp:

  http://lisa.sourceforge.net

Paolo