From: Jochen Schmidt
Subject: ANN: New Release of AServe for LW
As usual downloadable at http://www.dataheaven.de

This new release fixes some bugs in the last release.

- Refreshing of pages should now work without errors
   (patch submitted from Wade Humeniuk - thank you Wade :-)

- MP:WITH-TIMEOUT uses LispWorks timers instead of processes
- Some fixes in scan-macros.lisp (complementing of charsets)

Regards,
Jochen Schmidt

--
···@dataheaven.de
http://www.dataheaven.de

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: New Release of AServe for LW
Your change to mp:with-timeout change makes hitting the refresh quickly
(terminating and restarting connections quickly) in the browser much better
(at least on windows 98).

What I would really like to see is support for SSL (both server and client)
in Aserve/Lispworks.  I really could have used it for the e-commerce work I
briefly had (interfacing to an online credit card payment server).  Can
someone with experience list the pieces (RFCs and such) needed to implement
a SSL socket stream in LW?

Which is the best approach?

All new CL stream implementation of SSL using Crypto support, (probably
Jochens, is it sufficient?)  Implement a SSL stream as subclass of
comm:socket-stream.  Before and after methods for encrypting and decrypting
data.  I assume it can be written to work on all LispWorks platforms more
easily than a FLI implementation.

Or:

FLI to OpenSSL or some other public SSL implementation and creating a new
stream class.  I think this is what ACL did.  I noticed that CL-HTTP does
not use the socket streams that LispWorks supplies, why is that?

Or:

Forget all that and have Apache or other server proxy the server SSL
connections.  What can one do about outgoing client SSL connections?

Ideally I would hope that Xanalys would implement SSL but if they do not I
could take a crack at it.

Thanks,
Wade

···················@ID-22205.news.dfncis.de...

From: Espen Vestre
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> FLI to OpenSSL or some other public SSL implementation and creating a new
> stream class.  I think this is what ACL did.  I noticed that CL-HTTP does

OpenSSL integration would be great.

One thing which worries me a little, is if integrating with "heavy"
foreign libraries like OpenSSL may make multiprocessing sluggish.
LispWorks does not use native OS LWPs (at least not in the Solaris
version which is the one I know), so I assume that any foreign calls
that would block for a significant time could hurt performance of
multithreaded server applications.
--
  (espen)
From: Marc Battyani
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> wrote in message
·················@news3.cadvision.com...

> What I would really like to see is support for SSL (both server and
client)
> in Aserve/Lispworks.  I really could have used it for the e-commerce work
> briefly had (interfacing to an online credit card payment server).  Can
> someone with experience list the pieces (RFCs and such) needed to
implement
> a SSL socket stream in LW?
>
> Which is the best approach?
>
> All new CL stream implementation of SSL using Crypto support, (probably
> Jochens, is it sufficient?)  Implement a SSL stream as subclass of
> comm:socket-stream.  Before and after methods for encrypting and
decrypting
> data.  I assume it can be written to work on all LispWorks platforms more
> easily than a FLI implementation.
>
> Or:
>
> FLI to OpenSSL or some other public SSL implementation and creating a new
> stream class.  I think this is what ACL did.  I noticed that CL-HTTP does
> not use the socket streams that LispWorks supplies, why is that?
>
> Or:
>
> Forget all that and have Apache or other server proxy the server SSL
> connections.  What can one do about outgoing client SSL connections?
>
> Ideally I would hope that Xanalys would implement SSL but if they do not I
> could take a crack at it.

With LispWorks under FreeBSD and W2K I use this:

For HTTPS I use Apache+mod_ssl with mod_lisp
For direct (non HTTP) SSL connection I will look at Stunnel :
http://www.stunnel.org/ Seems an easy solution while waiting for a well
integrated LW SSL.

Marc
From: Chris Double
"Wade Humeniuk" <········@cadvision.com> writes:

> FLI to OpenSSL or some other public SSL implementation and creating
> a new stream class.  I think this is what ACL did.

This is also what I do for SSL on Corman Lisp. Source available with
the Corman Lisp distribution and at:

  http://www.double.co.nz/cl

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/cl
From: Raymond Laning
Have you looked at reppy channels?

see http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/who/jhr/

John Reppy's book - "Concurrent Programming in ML" covers the theory.

Wade Humeniuk wrote:

<snip>

Can
> someone with experience list the pieces (RFCs and such) needed to implement
> a SSL socket stream in LW?

<snip>