From: Steve Wart
Subject: Itasca
Whatever happened to the Itasca ODBMS?

I went to www.ibex.ch and their only product seems to be something called
"Project Vista". Has the ODBMS product somehow morphed into something with
builtin models for general purpose business applications?

--
Steve (steve at wart dot ca ICQ 50919689)

From: akmal @ city
Subject: Re: Itasca
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Steve Wart wrote:

> Whatever happened to the Itasca ODBMS?
>
> I went to www.ibex.ch and their only product seems to be something called
> "Project Vista". Has the ODBMS product somehow morphed into something with
> builtin models for general purpose business applications?
>
> --
> Steve (steve at wart dot ca ICQ 50919689)

They still have a white paper on their web site:

http://www.ibex.ch/downloads/olindo.pdf (27 KB)

<quote>
ITASCA in multimedia manufacturing integration. At Database '95 (Palais
des Congrès, Paris) client Odense Lindø, the world's second largest
shipbuilder, presented their experience using ITASCA to manage millions of
objects, largely from legacy CAD applications and countless other
databases.
</quote>

<akmal/>

--
[ --- OOPSLA 2001 Workshop on "Objects, <XML> and Databases" --- ]
[ http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/oopsla01.dir/01-workshop.html ]
From: akmal @ city
Subject: Re[2]: Itasca
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Steve Wart wrote:

> Whatever happened to the Itasca ODBMS?
>
> I went to www.ibex.ch and their only product seems to be something called
> "Project Vista". Has the ODBMS product somehow morphed into something with
> builtin models for general purpose business applications?
>
> --
> Steve (steve at wart dot ca ICQ 50919689)

Another possibility is PLOB:

http://www.lisp.de/software/plob/Welcome.html

<akmal/>

From: Steve Wart
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Itasca
"akmal @ city" <·····@soi.city.ac.uk.nospam> wrote in message
··············································@altair.soi.city.ac.uk...
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Steve Wart wrote:
>
> > Whatever happened to the Itasca ODBMS?
>
> Another possibility is PLOB:
>
> http://www.lisp.de/software/plob/Welcome.html

Interesting, but I was thinking of something that provides a programming
model within the database environment, along the lines of GemStone and (I
think) Itasca.

--
Steve (steve at wart dot ca ICQ 50919689)
From: David Simmons
"Steve Wart" <·····@deadspam.com> wrote in message
··························@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com...
> "akmal @ city" <·····@soi.city.ac.uk.nospam> wrote in message
> ··············································@altair.soi.city.ac.uk...
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Steve Wart wrote:
> >
> > > Whatever happened to the Itasca ODBMS?
> >
> > Another possibility is PLOB:
> >
> > http://www.lisp.de/software/plob/Welcome.html

Take a look at Matisse [I'd be curious to hear what you think]:

    http://www.matisse.com

--
-- Dave S. [ http://www.smallscript.net ]
   Smalltalk for the AOS Platform and The Microsoft.NET Framework

From: akmal @ city
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, David Simmons wrote:

> "Steve Wart" <·····@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> ··························@news1.rdc1.bc.home.com...
> > "akmal @ city" <·····@soi.city.ac.uk.nospam> wrote in message
> > ··············································@altair.soi.city.ac.uk...

> > > Another possibility is PLOB:
> > >
> > > http://www.lisp.de/software/plob/Welcome.html
>
> Take a look at Matisse [I'd be curious to hear what you think]:
>
>     http://www.matisse.com

Interesting. Thomas Beale posted a message on comp.databases.object around
August last year and mentioned he had develope an Eiffel binding for
Matisse, but also said:

<quote>
Matisse appears to have been bought out and buried by another company,
leaving all its users high and dry.
</quote>

Obviously it has returned from the dead =:-o

<akmal/>

From: Thomas Beale
"akmal @ city" wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, David Simmons wrote:
>

> > Take a look at Matisse [I'd be curious to hear what you think]:
> >
> >     http://www.matisse.com
>
> Interesting. Thomas Beale posted a message on comp.databases.object around
> August last year and mentioned he had develope an Eiffel binding for
> Matisse, but also said:
>
> <quote>
> Matisse appears to have been bought out and buried by another company,
> leaving all its users high and dry.
> </quote>
>
> Obviously it has returned from the dead =:-o

I have had contact with Fresher, the company that owns Matisse, and they have
indeed decided to market it again. It is still my odb of choice.

- thomas beale
From: akmal @ city
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Thomas Beale wrote:

> "akmal @ city" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, David Simmons wrote:
> >

> > > Take a look at Matisse [I'd be curious to hear what you think]:
> > >
> > >     http://www.matisse.com
> >
> > Interesting. Thomas Beale posted a message on comp.databases.object around
> > August last year and mentioned he had develope an Eiffel binding for
> > Matisse, but also said:
> >
> > <quote>
> > Matisse appears to have been bought out and buried by another company,
> > leaving all its users high and dry.
> > </quote>
> >
> > Obviously it has returned from the dead =:-o
>
> I have had contact with Fresher, the company that owns Matisse, and they have
> indeed decided to market it again. It is still my odb of choice.
>
> - thomas beale

Hi Tom.

Yea, I had a quick look at the web site. I'm also in contact with them
regarding something else.

Cheers,

<akmal/>