From: Michael L. Umbricht
Subject: Symbolics 3600 series
We have just received a number of Symbolics workstations and have
started to restore them.  So far I have learned to test the hardware at
the FEP and swapped boards out that had ECC double-bit errors, etc.  The
systems are a 3670 and two 3640's.  The hardware is now in good working
condition.  The FEP contains a Genera 8.1 distribution, plus a number of
IDS worlds.

The problem is that these machines were part of a network and each one
tries to connect to an NFS server when it is started.  We do not have
this NFS server.  Is there anyway to bypass the initialization?
And then to login and modify the startup?

-mikeu

Retro-Computing Society of RI

http://www.osfn.org/rcs/
From: Mike McDonald
Subject: Re: Symbolics 3600 series
In article <·················@osfn.org>,
	"Michael L. Umbricht" <·····@osfn.org> writes:

> The problem is that these machines were part of a network and each one
> tries to connect to an NFS server when it is started.  We do not have
> this NFS server.  Is there anyway to bypass the initialization?
> And then to login and modify the startup?

  The easiest way is to boot from a distribution world instead of a site
configured one. (If they left one on the disk. It'll be named Genera-8-1.world
or something to that effect.)

  Mike McDonald
  ·······@mikemac.com