From: dark
Subject: Newbie : Show me the light!!
Hi

I am new to LISP and AI programming and I was hoping somebody could
direct me to some good online resources and tutorials

Respect

From: Coby Beck
Subject: Re: Newbie : Show me the light!!
"dark" <·········@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
·································@posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> I am new to LISP and AI programming and I was hoping somebody could
> direct me to some good online resources and tutorials
>
> Respect

start at ALU.org

A personal opinion: borrow or buy Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence
Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp by Peter Norvig

Coby
--
(remove #\space "coby . beck @ opentechgroup . com")
From: Adri
Hi,

"dark" <·········@rediffmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
·································@posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> I am new to LISP and AI programming and I was hoping somebody could
> direct me to some good online resources and tutorials
>
> Respect

I'm a newbye too

I learned the object orienting and message passing concepts with the Squeak
SmallTalk.

The Lisp Object System has some big differences

On the Franz web site there's a link to a Lisp course on line. I followed
the first part of the lessons and I found it effective.

But if you want t o understand CLOS at a higher level I suggest you to try
to look for docs about the Apple implementation of Dylan.

Dylan was (is ?) different from Lisp but the main concepts are common and
better explained there than in any other Lisp docs I saw. They give you a
semantical map in a discorsive form of what the hell a function is and its
relationship with the objects.

One lacking is the macro stuff. I think to understand that that's Lisp
specific so the Dylan docs are not so good at that.

It also depends of what kind of newbye you are. I'm used to the SmallTalk
enviroinments and I falled in love with a sentence by Alan Kay. That said
about

"the trick here is that we have to go away from the idea that in order to
program we have to use just a simple text editor"

Some time ago I read a post from a Lisper approaching Squeak and asking how
to program day by day, since until that moment he was keeping browsers and
workspaces open all around.

He didn't realize that the day by day programming in SM is just that!! He
already was there!!

But probably he expected to find some Emacs cousin somewhere ;-)

So much depends on your attitude and what you are used to.

Hope this helps
Bye
Adri
From: ····@mail.ru
dark <·········@rediffmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am new to LISP and AI programming and I was hoping somebody could
> direct me to some good online resources and tutorials
>
> Respect

Have a look at "Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic
Computation" by David S. Touretzky. You can find it in Postscript and PDF
formats on http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/index.html

    Aleksandr Skobelev