From: Weston Hunter
Subject: ILISP w/ CMUCL
I tried to post this to the ILISP mail list (which is the most
appropriate place), but I couldn't get authenticated to subscribe to the
ILISP list.  I'm going to spam it here in hopes that someone out there
might know this.  Here goes:

I'm EXTREMELY new to lisp!  I apologize for the beginner question.  I
just installed ILISP 5.10.1 and CMUCL 18c.  I think these are fairly
current versions.  When I try to evaluate a simple expression (i.e. (+ 2
2) ), it gives an error message right after I press the spacebar after I
enter the name of the function (before I type in the arguments).  I can
then type in the arguments and close the paren.  The function then
evaluates correctly.

Here is the error message:
*: ILISP: Error in KERNEL::UNDEFINED-SYMBOL-ERROR-HANDLER:  the function
KERNEL:%FUNCTION-HEADER-ARGLIST is undefined.

I also installed CLISP.  Everything seems to work correctly there.

Is this a common problem?  Do you need any more information from me?

Thanks,
Weston

From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: ILISP w/ CMUCL
Weston Hunter <···@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> I tried to post this to the ILISP mail list (which is the most
> appropriate place), but I couldn't get authenticated to subscribe to the
> ILISP list.

This is a Sourceforge problem.  Please tell them.

> I'm going to spam it here in hopes that someone out there
> might know this.  Here goes:
>
> I'm EXTREMELY new to lisp!  I apologize for the beginner question.  I
> just installed ILISP 5.10.1

The latest ILISP version is 5.11.1.  Check out
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ilisp.

> and CMUCL 18c.  I think these are fairly
> current versions.  When I try to evaluate a simple expression (i.e. (+ 2
> 2) ), it gives an error message right after I press the spacebar after I
> enter the name of the function (before I type in the arguments).  I can
> then type in the arguments and close the paren.  The function then
> evaluates correctly.
>
> Here is the error message:
> *: ILISP: Error in KERNEL::UNDEFINED-SYMBOL-ERROR-HANDLER:  the function
> KERNEL:%FUNCTION-HEADER-ARGLIST is undefined.
>
> I also installed CLISP.  Everything seems to work correctly there.
>
> Is this a common problem?  Do you need any more information from me?

This problem is known and is fixed in 5.11.1.

Try to upgrade.

719 Broadway 12th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"
                           Bill Murray in `Ghostbusters'.
From: Hannu Koivisto
Weston Hunter <···@ix.netcom.com> writes:

| I'm EXTREMELY new to lisp!  I apologize for the beginner question.  I
| just installed ILISP 5.10.1 and CMUCL 18c.  I think these are fairly
| current versions.  When I try to evaluate a simple expression (i.e. (+ 2

Unfortunately 5.10.1 is very old.  Get 5.11.1 via
<http://ilisp.cons.org/> (follow the links to the SourceForge
pages).  The archive name is ilisp-5.11.tar.gz but I think it is
really 5.11.1 (for some reason 5.11.1 isn't even tagged in CVS...)

The problems you had have been fixed in 5.11*.

--
Hannu
From: Will Deakin
Weston Hunter wrote:

> I just installed ILISP 5.10.1 and CMUCL 18c.  I think these are fairly
> current versions.
cmucl 18c is recent but ilisp-5.10.1 is not. Try ilisp 5.11.

> Is this a common problem?  Do you need any more information from me?
Yes. To help diagnose these kinds of problems, what OS (unixen of
course) and version of emacs/xemacs are you running?

Best Regards,

Will