From: ludwig
Subject: Compiling with CMUCL or GCL?
Hello,
a few days ago I bought a LISP book. Till today i always used the
Interpreter. Now I would like to compile "real programs". How can I do
that? Do I have to specify any parameters or must I download a special
LISP compiler?

Thanx 4 your help
Ludwig

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Compiling with CMUCL or GCL?
In article <·················@osdeva.org>,
ludwig  <·········@osdeva.org> wrote:
>Hello,
>a few days ago I bought a LISP book. Till today i always used the
>Interpreter. Now I would like to compile "real programs". How can I do
>that? Do I have to specify any parameters or must I download a special
>LISP compiler?

Use the COMPILE or COMPILE-FILE functions.  They're described in CLTL, the
Hyperspec, and maybe even in your book.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA
From: Evan Prodromou

    l> Hello, a few days ago I bought a LISP book. Till today i always
    l> used the Interpreter. Now I would like to compile "real
    l> programs". How can I do that?

Try this:

        http://www.xanalys.com/software_tools/reference/HyperSpec/Body/fun_compile-file.html

Or this:

        http://cvs2.cons.org:8000/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/compiler.html

Or this:

        http://clisp.cons.org/clisp.html

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
····@prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
From: Thomas F. Burdick
ludwig <·········@osdeva.org> writes:

> Hello,
> a few days ago I bought a LISP book. Till today i always used the
> Interpreter. Now I would like to compile "real programs". How can I do
> that? Do I have to specify any parameters or must I download a special
> LISP compiler?

I'm not sure what you meant by "real programs" -- if you meant
compiled code instead of interpreted, you've already gotten pointers
in the right direction.  However, you might be coming from the C or
Perl world, and by "real program" you might mean "something I can run
from the command line."  If that's the case, don't worry about it.
Most Common Lisp applications stink at Hello World, which is how it
should be. (Although I think it's worth pointing out that CLISP, at
least on systems I've tried, is significantly faster at simple
startup-print-something-die apps than perl 5.005).  For most anything
large enough to care about, they shine.  If I were you, I'd continue
to work with the running lisp system, run your programs from the lisp
toplevel, and worry about delivering an application only when you need
to do so.  Every implementation I know of has at least some support
for application delivery; some make it easy, some quite a pain in the
butt.  Actually delivering an application is a tiny percentage of the
development time, though, so just know that you *can* do it, and don't
worry about it yet.