From: Vladimir V. Zolotych
Subject: (read-char)

  Hello

I'm using CMUCL 18c, Emacs 20.4.2 and ILISP 5.10.1

In *cmulisp* buffer I can't read some characters with
(read-char).

* (read-char)
#\a
* (read-char)
]

Interpreter behaves strange in *cmulisp* buffer. Prompt
* disappears. The only thing I can do to avoid that state is
to kill *cmulisp* buffer and run M-x cmulisp again.

I've tried to (read-char) outside of Emacs/ILISP. All works
as expected. Please explain me how can I tune things.
I'd like to be able read-char \#] and see something like

* (read-char)
]

#\]
* (read-char)
)

#\)
*

Another question. If a form produces large output, e.g.
  (make-array (* 24 60 60) :element-type 'bit))
And I wouldn't like to see it, what is conventional way for
such things (probably prog*) ?

Thanks.

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         ······@eurocom.od.ua
--------------4A9477E45CBC821C4170FABF

begin:vcard
n:Zolotych;Valdimir V.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
·····················@eurocom.od.ua
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Valdimir V. Zolotych
end:vcard

--------------4A9477E45CBC821C4170FABF--

From: Raymond Wiker
Subject: Re: (read-char)
"Vladimir V. Zolotych" <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:

>   Hello
>
> I'm using CMUCL 18c, Emacs 20.4.2 and ILISP 5.10.1
>
> In *cmulisp* buffer I can't read some characters with
> (read-char).
>
> * (read-char)
> #\a
> * (read-char)
> ]
>
> Interpreter behaves strange in *cmulisp* buffer. Prompt
> * disappears. The only thing I can do to avoid that state is
> to kill *cmulisp* buffer and run M-x cmulisp again.

        This may be due to a keybinding in the ilisp buffer. Try typing
C-q before the ].

        This behaviour can be switched off by setting
ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p* to nil.

--
Raymond Wiker
·············@fast.no
From: Vladimir V. Zolotych

Raymond Wiker wrote:

>         This may be due to a keybinding in the ilisp buffer. Try typing
> C-q before the ].

Sorry, this doesn't fix the problem. (READ-CHAR) still
doesn't return.

>         This behaviour can be switched off by setting
> ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p* to nil.

I check the ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p*
(M-x describe-variable), the following is what I see:

ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p*'s value is
nil

Documentation:
If non-nil the key ']' will be bound to #'close-all-lisp.

Defined in `ilisp-def'.

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         ······@eurocom.od.ua
--------------05E100EFAD4B3101A0FECCA4

begin:vcard
n:Zolotych;Valdimir V.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
·····················@eurocom.od.ua
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Valdimir V. Zolotych
end:vcard

--------------05E100EFAD4B3101A0FECCA4--
From: Marco Antoniotti
"Vladimir V. Zolotych" <······@eurocom.od.ua> writes:

> Raymond Wiker wrote:
> >
> >         This may be due to a keybinding in the ilisp buffer. Try typing
> > C-q before the ].
>
> Sorry, this doesn't fix the problem. (READ-CHAR) still
> doesn't return.

This is funny.  I guess some strange itneraction with comint is to
blame.  We'll have to investigate.

> >         This behaviour can be switched off by setting
> > ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p* to nil.
>
> I check the ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p*
> (M-x describe-variable), the following is what I see:
>
> ilisp-bindings-*bind-right-bracket-p*'s value is
> nil
>
> Documentation:
> If non-nil the key ']' will be bound to #'close-all-lisp.
>
> Defined in `ilisp-def'.

Setting the variable does not change the key binding.  Unfortunately
the functionality embedded in the variable is that of a "load only
switch".

I declare that this is a bug(let) in ILISP.

Cheers

--
NYU Bioinformatics Group			 tel. +1 - 212 - 998 3488